Samsung pushed the Lollipop OTA update earlier for the Sprint Galaxy S4 Tri-band variant, model no. SPH-L720T launched under Sprint Spark program, but now, a full TAR file of the firmware is available for download, that you can install using Odin PC software. The build no. is L720TVPUCOD2, btw. Not only the Odin flashable TAR helpful in updating the Sprint Galaxy S4 from Sprint to latest Lollipop update from Samsung, without worrying about unroot and removing a custom ROM, but you can even unbrick a soft-bricked or bootloop-ing Sprint Galaxy S4 Tri-band using the firmware and the guide below.
Samsung is pretty good when it comes to updating its smartphones. Samsung devices have made quite a vogue in the past and are still going with its latest devices and releases. Samsung has now pushed its latest firmware update for its Sprint Galaxy S4 Tri-band variant. This is a good news for all the Tri-band S4 users who were waiting for the Lollipop update.
Here is a simple guide that will help you flash this firmware onto your Sprint Galaxy S4 with ease. This can be done using a simple software called Odin. Odin is a Windows-based ROM flashing tool for Samsung smartphones and tablets. This is the most popular tool which is used to flash firmware in .tar or .tar.md5 format, and is also used to flash recovery or kernels files .in same format.
- L720TVPUCOD2 Lollipop Update | File: SPR-L720TVPUCOD2-20150611185640.zip (1.52 GB)
- Odin PC software | File: Odin3_v3.10.6.zip (1.6 MB)
- Sprint Galaxy S4 Tri-band edition (model no. SPH-L720T)
- Don’t try on any other device whatsoever.
Disclamer: Installing an official firmware through Odin doesn’t void your device’s warranty, but it remains an unofficial process and thus you need to be cautious of it. In any case, you only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Backup important files stored on your device before proceeding with the steps below, so that in case something goes wrong you’ll have backup of all your important files. Sometimes, Odin installation may delete everything on your device!
- Download Odin and firmware file from above.
- Install Galaxy S4 drivers (method 1 there!) first of all. Double click the .exe file of drivers to begin installation. (Not required if you have already done this.)
- Extract the firmware file now. You can use a free software like 7-zip for this. Install 7-zip, then right click on firmware file and under 7-zip, select ‘Extract here’.
- You should get the a file in .tar.md5 format now (L720TVPUCOD2_L720TSPTCOD2_L720TVPUCOD2_HOME.tar.md5). We will be loading this file into Odin, to be installed on your Galaxy S4 (in step 10 below).
- Extract the Odin file. You should get this file, Odin3 v3.10.6.exe (other files could be hidden, hence not visible).
- Disconnect your Galaxy S4 from PC if it is connected.
- Boot Sprint Galaxy S4 into download mode:
- Power off your S4. Wait 6-7 seconds after screen goes off.
- Press and hold the three buttons Volume Down + Power + Home together until you see warning screen.
- Press Volume Up to continue to download mode.
- Double click on extracted file of Odin, Odin3 v3.10.6.exe, to open the Odin window, as shown below. Be careful with Odin, and do just as said to prevent problems.
- Connect your Galaxy S4 to PC now using USB cable. Odin should recognize your S4 . It’s a must. When it recognizes, you will see Added!! message appearing in the Log box in bottom left, and the first box under ID:COM will also show a no. and turn its background blue. Look at the pic below.
- Load the firmware file into Odin (that you got in step 4 above). Click the AP button on Odin and the select the file: L720TVPUCOD2_L720TSPTCOD2_L720TVPUCOD2_HOME.tar.md5
- Make sure Re-partition checkbox is NOT selected, under the Options tab. Don’t use PIT tab either. Go back to Log tab btw, it will show the progress when you hit start button in next step.
- Click the Start button on Odin now to start flashing the firmware on your Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 . Wait till installation is finished, after which your Galaxy S4 will reboot automatically. You’ll get PASS message as show below upon successful installation from Odin.
- If Odin gets stuck at setup connection, then you need to do steps 6 to 12 again. For this, close Odin, disconnect your S4 , remove battery, insert it back after 5-6 seconds and then start from step 6 again.
- Or, if you get FAIL in the top left box, you need to try flashing again, as stated just above.
- First start of the device may take time, so wait patiently again. Check the Settings > About phone to confirm new firmware.
That’s it enjoy the L720TVPUCOD2 Lollipop firmware on your Sprint Galaxy S4 Tri-band set!
If you face any issues over installing the firmware on your Galaxy S4, let us know via comments below. We’ll try our best to help you.