It’s no secret that developers are working around the clock to get Jelly Bean Android 4.1 unofficially to as many devices as possible. So while you wait for a Jelly Bean based custom ROM come out for your Galaxy Tab 7.7 (P6810), why not try out an Ice Cream Sandwich ROM themed with Jelly Bean goodies?
XDA Forum Member Androguide.fr has released an Android 4.0 based CM9 ROM – CM9 Jelly Bean Edition – but has included lots of Jelly Bean specific goodies in it, like Jelly Bean apps and other stuff like wallpapers, fonts, animations, and more for a Jelly Bean themed experience but based on the stable Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. So keep in mind that this is not a Jelly Bean Android 4.1 based ROM, and is only for the P6810 variant and will not work on the P6800.
The ROM, while suitable for every day use, does have a few bugs and issues, which are mentioned below (quoted from the developer):
- HDMI dongle doesn’t work
- Some USB keyboards aren’t working
- The bootanimation might be buggy, don’t worry if the animation is stuck, the tab is still booting.
- Same as Locerra’s CM9
- Default wallpaper might be cut at first boot but changing to another and then back will fix it
Let’s take a look at how CM9 Jelly Bean Edition ROM can be installed on the Galaxy Tab 7.7.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7, model number P6810. It’s not compatible with the P6810 or any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About tablet.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install CM9 Jelly Bean Edition on Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6810
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod recovery installed on your tablet.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from its development page.
- Copy the downloaded zip file from step 3 to the SD card on the tablet.
- Turn off the tablet and boot into ClockworkMod recovery. To do so, press and hold the Volume Up + Power keys together. Once the tablet turns on, let go of power button but keep holding Volume Up button till the tablet boots into ClockworkMod recovery.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to scroll up/down and the power button to select an option.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the tablet and boot up into the ROM.
CM9 Jelly Bean Edition ROM is now installed on your Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6810. Visit the development page for updates and more info. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.