AOKP ROM based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 is here for the HTC One X, in the form of IceColdJelly ROM by the IceCold Team of developers. As you might know, AOKP features fast performance as well as a huge amount of customization features, and it is now based on Jelly Bean to bring the latest Android version to devices along with its own added features.
NOTE: Keep in mind that AOKP for the One X is in an early development stage and is not suitable for daily use as there are quite a few issues in it at this point, so it should only be considered a preview of Jelly Bean as most of AOKP’s customization features haven’t been added to AOKP yet due to its early state.
Here’s a list of issues quoted from the official development page:
- WiFi direct doesnt work
- In call volume adjustment works, but not fully well in Speaker mode (more info here)
- MHL output is rotated incorrectly to portrait in horizontal mode (but workaround added since alpha 8 for hw decoded videos/youtube. Use bsplayer from playstore, almost all videos play with it in correct rotation in hwoverlay)
- No FM radio app in ROM. But Spirit FM works from market (it’s commercial!)
- USB storage copies slower than normal
Let’s see how AOKP Jelly Bean ROM can be installed on the HTC One X.
Also take a look at AOKP ROM based on Jelly Bean for other devices → here.
This guide is applicable only for HTC One X. DO NOT try this on any other device.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install AOKP Jelly Bean ROM on HTC One X
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Unlock the bootloader on your HTC One X by following the guide → here. This will void your warrant and delete your SD card files as well, so save them on your computer.
- Install ClockWorkMod (CWM) recovery by following the guide → here.
- Download and install HTC Sync software on your computer in order to install the required drivers for the phone.
Download HTC Sync
Skip this step if you already installed the drivers while following step 2, or if you have HTC Sync installed already.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-jb-20120716.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip files from step 5 and step 6 to the SD card on the phone.
- Also download the Flash_Boot.zip file from → here. This is required to flash the necessary kernel on the phone.
- Extract the Flash_Boot.zip file to a convenient location on the computer.
- Open the ROM’s zip file (downloaded in step 5) on the computer and extract the boot.img file from inside it. Then, copy the boot.img file to the folder where you extracted the Flash_Boot.zip file in step 8. You will then have the following files in the folder as shown in screenshot below:
- Switch off the phone. Boot into the bootloader mode first by holding the Volume Down button while powering on the phone. Then, select FASTBOOT from there using the volume buttons to navigate and power button to select to enter fastboot mode. Then connect your phone to the computer.
- Go to the folder where you extracted the contents of the Flash_boot.zip file in step 8. Double-click the flash-boot-windows.bat file to flash the required kernel.
- After the kernel is flashed, the window that showed up will automatically close. It might also say OKAY/finished and stay open, which is normal and you can close it yourself.
- Now, press the power button on the phone to select BOOTLOADER, then navigate to the RECOVERY option and select it using the power button to boot into ClockworkMod recovery.
In recovery, use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power/home key to select an option.
- Perform a wipe:
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on the next screen to confirm data wipe. This will only delete your installed apps and settings, but will leave all other files and data on the SD card intact, so don’t worry.
- Select wipe cache then select Yes on next screen to confirm.
- Then, select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120716.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After Gapps installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into AOKP ROM.
AOKP ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your HTC One X. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.
You can try out other Jelly Bean ROMs for the HTC One X → here.