Even though AOKP ROM – famous for its customization options and performance – based on Jelly Bean hasn’t been officially announced, each day a new device seems to be getting an unofficial port of AOKP. XDA Senior Member Rushabh25 has released an unofficial port of AOKP ROM for the Galaxy S2 which brings along Jelly Bean Android 4.1 with all its features such as a smoother interface, improved notifications menu that lets you perform actions right from the notifications, advanced voice recognition, offline voice typing, a smarter keyboard, and more.
NOTE: Keep in mind that since this ROM is a work in progress, there may be certain bugs and issues and some thing might not work properly. Also, AOKP based on Jelly Bean is in its early development stages, so not many customization features of AOKP are currently present in the ROM.
Let’s take a look at how AOKP Jelly Bean ROM can be installed on the Galaxy S2 I9100.
This firmware and the guide below are compatible only and only with Galaxy S2, model number I9100. It’s not compatible with the I9100G or any other device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install AOKP ROM on Galaxy S2 I9100
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Install the stock Android 4.0.3 XXLPQ firmware on your phone by following the guide → here.
- Install Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery on XXLPQ by following the guide → here.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Copy the downloaded zip file to the internal SD card.
- Turn off the phone and boot into Clockworkmod recovery. For this, press and hold these 3 buttons together until the screen turns on: Volume UP + Home + Power. Phone will boot into CWM recovery.
Use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power key to select an option in recovery.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into AOKP ROM. The first boot can take up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
- NOTE: To go back to a stock Samsung ROM again, you can flash the XXLPQ firmware by following the guide linked in step 2 above, or flash to the latest Android 4.0.4 Samsung ROM by following this guide.
AOKP based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your Samsung Galaxy S2. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.
Also take a look at CM10 ROM based on Jelly Bean for the Galaxy S2 → here.