The ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T started receiving the official Jelly Bean Android 4.1 OTA update in the US a couple of days ago, and we also covered a guide on how the update can be installed on devices in other countries. Now, the previously available ClockworkMod or TWRP recovery, the two custom recoveries used to flash custom ROMs, are unfortunately not compatible after the official Jelly Bean update.
However, this guide will help you flash newer versions of ClockworkMod or TWRP recovery on your Transformer TF300T which are compatible with the Jelly Bean official update, so you can install custom ROMs if you wish to do so even after the official Android 4.1 update.
This guide covers installation procedure for both TWRP and ClockworkMod recovery. Now, while both recoveries do the same job i.e flash custom ROMs, take backups and restore ROMs, etc, TWRP recovery has a better interface suited to the touchscreen display, but in the end it’s up to you which one you want to install.
So, continue reading to find out how TWRP/ClockworkMod recovery can be installed on the Transformer Pad TF300T after the official Jelly Bean update.
This guide is applicable only for Asus Transformer TF300T. DO NOT try this on any other device.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install ClockworkMod/TWRP Recovery on Transformer TF300T on Official Jelly Bean Firmware
- [Important] Make sure you are on the official Jelly Bean update. You can use this guide to install the update manually on your TF300T.
- Make sure the bootloader on your TF300T is unlocked. Go to the Asus Support Page → here, select Android in the OS drop down menu, then select Utilities, then download the Unlock Device App, copy it to the tablet, install it and use it to unlock the bootloader. This will void your warranty, so make sure you are comfortable with that and be sure to take a backup. Skip this step if bootloader is already unlocked.
- Download fastboot.
Download Fastboot | Filename: Fastboot.zip
- Extract the Fastboot.zip file to the C:\ drive on your computer to get a folder named Fastboot with four files inside it.
- Now, download TWRP Recovery or CWM Recovery according to the one you prefer to install.
- Now, copy the tf300t-jb.blob or CWM-Touch.blob file (whichever you downloaded) to the Fastboot folder obtained in step 3, which will then have a total of five files inside.
- Shut down the tablet. Hold Power + Vol Down buttons until a message appears saying “Press Vol. Up to enter RCK (5s)”. However, DO NOT press the Volume Up button. Instead, wait for 5 seconds till a new menu appears. Then, in less than 10 seconds, press Volume Down once to highlight the USB icon, then press the Volume Up button to validate. Remember, you must do this in 10 seconds otherwise the tablet will boot into Android and you’ll have to redo the step.
- Open Start menu » All Programs » Accessories, then right-click on Command Prompt and click on “Run as administrator” to start the command prompt.
- Now, type the following commands in command prompt to flash the recovery, pressing Enter after each command:
- cd c:\Fastboot
- fastboot devices (this is to ensure the phone gets detected. A string of numbers and letters should appear if the phone is properly detected)
- fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash recovery tf300t-jb.blob (or CWM-Touch.blob if using CWM recovery).
- After the recovery is flashed, you’ll get a finished/OKAY message in command prompt. Also, the blue progress bar on the tablet will get filled up.
- Then, press and hold the Volume Up + Power buttons together to reboot the tablet.