While Galaxy S6 5.1.1 root has been out for a while now, the T-Mobile Galaxy S5 users were left behind as regards their own Android 5.1.1 root, for build G900TUVU1FOF6. Not anymore, using the basic work done by 5.1.1 root chief g.lewarne over S6 5.1.1 builds, user ShinySide over at XDA brought the trick to S5 5.1.1 build, and with great help from some solid and tons of Trap music, he did it — he achieved the root on T-Mobile Galaxy S5!
That’s some real good news, but it comes with a little nagging issue of warranty getting broken. Well, this method uses custom recovery, and breaks KNOX flag, meaning warranty of your T-Mobile S5 will be lost if you root your device.
Remember that Trap music that ShinySide listened a lot of while working S5 5.1.1 root, well, the resulting end product, a custom kernel packaging the root access, has been slightly appropriately named after that only, as, meet one and only — TrapKernel!
All you need to do achieve root access son your T-Mobile S5 is flash the TrapKernel using TWRP/CWM recovery. But if you don’t want to lose warranty, better wait this one out. While there are no hopes as to how and when KNOX-free root solution will be available, it’s upon you to think and decide whether you want root right now or not.
How to Root T-Mobile Galaxy S5 on Android 5.1.1 OF6 update
- TrapKernel, based on your build no.
- TWRP recovery — Link | File: twrp-220.127.116.11-klte.img.tar
- Odin PC software — Link | File: Odin3_v3.10.6.zip (1.6 MB)
- T-MOBILE GALAXY S5, model no. SM-G900T
- Don’t try on any other Galaxy S5 set than model no. G900T!
- Don’t try on any other device whatsoever!
Warning: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
- Download the Odin software, TWRP recovery and TrapKernel file from above. Be sure to download the trap kernel based on your current build no., otherwise, camera may stop working for you.
- Install Galaxy S5 drivers (method 1 there!) first of all. Double click the .exe file of drivers to begin installation. (Not required if you have already done this.)
- Connect Galaxy S5 to PC and transfer the TrapKernel file to the device. It’s very important step, don’t miss it. Make sure you have the TrapKernel on your S5 before proceeding further. (Keep TWRP recovery and Odin on your PC, don’t transfer them.)
- Extract the Odin file. You should get this file, Odin3 v3.10.6.exe (other files could be hidden, hence not visible).
- Disconnect your S5 from PC if it is connected.
- Boot Galaxy S5 into download mode:
- Power off your T-Mobile S5. Wait 6-7 seconds after screen goes off.
- Press and hold the three buttons Volume Down + Power + Home together until you see warning screen.
- Press Volume Up to continue to download mode.
- Double click on extracted file of Odin, Odin3 v3.10.6.exe, to open the Odin window, as shown below. Be careful with Odin, and do just as said to prevent problems.
- Connect your Galaxy S5 to PC now using USB cable. Odin should recognize your S5. It’s a must. When it recognizes, you will see Added!! message appearing in the Log box in bottom left, and the first box under ID:COM will also show a no. and turn its background blue. Look at the pic below.
- You cannot proceed until you get the Added!! message, which confirms that Odin has recognized your device.
- If you don’t get Added!! message, you need to install/re-install drivers again, and use the original cable that came with device. Mostly, drivers are the problem (look at step 2 above).
- You can try different USB ports on your PC too, btw.
- Load the TWRP file into Odin. Click the AP button on Odin and the select the file: twrp-18.104.22.168-klte.img.tar
- Go to Options tab in Odin, and un-select the Auto Reboot checkbox. You should have bothAuto Reboot and Re-partition checkbox un-selected. Don’t use PIT tab. Go back to Log tab now, it will show the progress when you hit start button in next step.
- Click the Start button on Odin now to start flashing the TWRP recovery on your T-Mobile Galaxy S5. Once done, you’ll get PASS message as show below upon successful installation from Odin. Now, device won’t reboot automatically, which is what we wanted. Proceed to next step to reboot it into recovery mode.
- If Odin gets stuck at setup connection, then you need to do steps 6 to 12 again. For this, close Odin, disconnect your S5, remove battery, insert it back after 5-6 seconds and then start from step 6 again.
- Or, if you get FAIL in the top left box, you need to try flashing again, as stated just above.
- Reboot your S5 into recovery mode. Do this:
- Power off your S5. Wait 6-7 seconds after screen goes off.
- Press and hold the three buttons Power + Home + Volume up together until you see Samsung’s logo. Then let go of the buttons. You will soon enter TWRP recovery.
- [Optional] Create a backup. Tap on backup, and then select partitions of your choice, preferably all of them, and then do the Swipe action at bottom to start backing up the whole phone! It would always come very handy in case anything bad happens to phone. Go back to TWRP’s main screen by tapping on Home button at bottom left corner.
- Now, the Android 5.1 Root. On main screen of TWRP, tap on Install, and then browse and select the Trapkernel file (G900T_FOF6_5.1.1_Rooted_TrapKernel.zip). On next screen, just do the Swipe action at the bottom to root Galaxy S5 on 5.1 build.
- Tap on System Reboot button after that to restart the phone, which will be now rooted on 5.1.1 OF6 update.
That’s it. Enjoy root access! And let us know if you need any help with T-Mobile S5 5.1.1 root access.
If you need any help with this, let us know via comments below and we will try our best to help you out.