The latest versions of ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery and TWRP recovery – custom recoveries that allow you to install custom ROMs and other modifications on Android devices – have been released for the Sprint Galaxy S3 by XDA Forum Member cybrnook with both recoveries being flash-able via Samsung’s Odin software, which allows for the fastest and easiest way to install custom recoveries and stock firmware on Samsung’s devices.
The guide below will walk you through the steps for installing CWM/TWRP recovery on your Sprint Galaxy S3. You can choose either of the two, though TWRP recovery is recommended as it has a better interface and some nice features over CWM recovery.
Let’s take a look at how CWM/TWRP recovery can be installed via Odin on the Sprint Galaxy S3.
This guide below is compatible only and only with the Sprint Galaxy S3. It’s not compatible with any other Galaxy S3, it only works for Sprint variant. Check your device’s model in Settings» About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install ClockworkMod/TWRP Recovery on Sprint Galaxy S3
- [Optional] Just to be safe, backup all your apps, data and settings. Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Download and install the drivers for the phone on the computer.
- Download Odin 3.04, the software that we will use to flash recovery.
Download Odin | Filename: Odin3-v3.04.zip
- Extract the Odin3-v3.04.zip file to a convenient location on the computer.
- Download the ClockworkMod or TWRP recovery file from the source page. Do not extract the downloaded file even if it shows up as a compressed file.
- Turn off your phone. Then boot into download mode. To do so, hold down the Volume Down, Home and then the Power buttons together until a Warning!! message is displayed on the screen. Here, press Volume Up to enter download mode. A green Android and the text Downloading will be displayed on the screen.
- Now, open Odin by clicking on the Odin3 v3.04.exe file which you obtained after extracting Odin3-v3.04.zip in step 4.
- Then, connect the phone to the computer with the USB cable and wait for Windows to finish installing drivers. Odin will say Added!! in the message box on the bottom left if the phone is detected successfully. If not, make sure the drivers are installed and also try using a different USB port – preferably a USB port on the back if using a desktop computer.
- In Odin, click on the PDA button, then select the .tar file that you downloaded in step 5.
- Important! Do not touch any other button or make any other changes in Odin except selecting the required file as given in step 9.
- Now, hit the START button to start flashing ClockworkMod/TWRP recovery on the phone. When the flashing is complete, your phone will automatically reboot — and when you see the Samsung logo, you can safely unplug the cable. Plus, you’ll get a PASS message (with green background) in the left-most box at the very top of Odin.
What to do if Odin gets stuck: If ODIN gets stuck and doesn’t seem to be doing anything, or you get a FAIL message (with red background) in ODIN, disconnect the phone from the PC, close ODIN, remove battery, re-insert it, then repeat the procedure from step 7.
ClockworkMod/TWRP recovery is now installed on your Sprint Galaxy S3, which will let you install custom ROMs on the device. Let us know how it works!