Experience the tablet experience on your Samsung Captivate with CyanTablet 9, an Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich ROM, by Team Inferno that features a full tablet interface i.e the whole UI is like what you see on Android tablets. The home screen, the menus, everything has been reorganized to resemble a tablet interface. And it’s based on CM9, so it offers fast performance as well.
However, due to the small screen size, the text and icon will appear smaller which cannot be fixed, but one has to try the ROM if only to experience the tablet look, if they can live with the smaller stuff.
So, read on to find out how you can get the tablet experience with CyanTablet 9 ROM on your Samsung Captivate.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Captivate, model number SGH-I897. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
ROM Developers → saranhai/Team Inferno
How to Install CyanTablet 9 ROM on Samsung Captivate
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Make sure you are on an Android 2.3 Gingerbread/Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich ROM while installing CyanTablet 9 ROM.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM.
Download Link | Filename: gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
- Transfer the downloaded zip files from step 3 and step 4 to the root of the internal SD card (not the micro SD).
- Turn off your Captivate and wait for complete shutdown (wait for vibration and check capacitive button lights).
- Then, boot into CWM recovery. To do so, press and hold these 3 buttons together: Volume Up, Volume Down, and the Power button till you enter recovery.
In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Now select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- The phone will reboot into recovery in the middle of installation and then continue installing the ROM. However, if it simply reboots but doesn’t continue installation, repeat step 10.
- After ROM installation is complete, select choose zip from sdcard again, and select the gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select go back and then select reboot system now to reboot your phone.
The CyanTablet 9 ROM has been successfully installed and is now running on your Samsung Captivate. Visit the official development page to get more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.