Install Stock Android 4.0 Keyboard on Galaxy S3, Should Work with Other Devices as Well
The default Android keyboard that debuted with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich is perhaps one of the best keyboard for Android out there, with almost perfect spacing of letters that make it a joy to type. However, most phones do not come with the default ICS keyboard but instead with custom versions made by the device’s manufacturer, which is true in the case of the Galaxy S3 as well.
If you love the default ICS keyboard and would like to use it on your Galaxy S3, you can do so by simply downloading and installing its APK file. The keyboard should work on other devices as well, provided they are running on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
Here’s how to install the stock Android 4.0 keyboard.
How to Install Stock Android 4.0 Keyboard on Galaxy S3/Other Android 4.0 Devices
- [Important] Make sure you have Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich running on your device. This will not work on previous Android versions like Gingerbread.
- Download the Android 4.0 Keyboard’s APK file from the link below:
Download Link | Filename: LatinIME.apk
- Copy the LatinIME.apk file to the SD card on your device.
- You’ll need a file manager to browse through SD Card. If you don’t have one already, use this file manager (install for free from your current Google Play Store/Android Market app).
- Enable “Unknown sources” under the Settings » Security menu on the device, so that you can install applications from SD Card.
- Open the file manager app and go to where you transferred the APK file in Step 3.
- Find and tap on the file to begin installation procedure and it will be installed in less than a minute. That’s it.
- Now, to enable the keyboard, go into Settings » Language and Input and tick the check box next to Android keyboard. Then, while typing, drag down the notification bar, press the Choose input method button, then select Android keyboard to start using the stock Android 4.0 keyboard.
The stock Android 4.0 keyboard is now installed on your Galaxy S3/Android 4.0 device. Let us know how it works for you, in the comments below.