Install Slim ICS on Galaxy S 4G For Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0
In a time where everyone is trying to get a taste of Jelly Bean Android 4.1 on their devices through custom ROMs, there are still some devices out there that are still receiving new Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich based custom ROMs. One of those devices is the Galaxy S 4G, the little-known 4G-enabled variant of the Samsung Vibrant (which already has a Jelly Bean ROM).
XDA Senior Member erikmm has released Slim ICS, an Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 ROM that is known for its slim and trimmed down size resulting in a lightweight ROM with a few features and customization options thrown in, for a good taste of pure Android 4.0 without TouchWiz or other Samsung apps, for the Galaxy S 4G.
There are a couple of issues in the ROM, though they shouldn’t prevent you from using the ROM as your daily driver. The following bugs currently exist in the ROM (quoted from the development page):
CWM can’t backup/restore
UMS (USB Mass Storage mode)
Let’s take a look at how you can install Slim ICS ROM on your Galaxy S 4G.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Galaxy S 4G, model number T959V. It’s not compatible the T595 or with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Slim ICS Ice Cream Sandwich ROM on Galaxy S 4G
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod recovery installed on your phone.
- Download the ROM from its download page. You need to download two files as given below:
- GalaxyS_4G_x.x.zip (where x.x is the latest version of the ROM)
- Copy both the downloaded files to the internal SD card on the phone (only copy the files as they are, do not extract them).
- Turn off the phone, then boot into ClockworkMod recovery. To do so, press and hold the Volume Up + Volume Down buttons together while pressing the power button to turn on the phone. Once the phone turns on, keep holding the Volume Up + Volume Down buttons till the phone boots into recovery.
In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the GalaxyS_4G_x.x.zip file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install GalaxyS_4G_x.x.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the Slim_Common.zip file. Confirm installation on next screen.
- After installation of the Slim_Common.zip file is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into Slim ICS ROM.
Slim ICS ROM, based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 is now installed on your Galaxy S 4G. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.