The Samsung Captivate has received another helping of a custom Jelly Bean Android 4.1 custom ROM, this time a special one that will turn your phone’s interface into a tablet-cum-phone interface for a tablet-inspired interface that puts more info on the screen when needed.
XDA Forum Member Ir0nLy0n has released ParanoidAndroid ROM for the Captivate, which is based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and turns your phone into a “phablet” thanks to its unique hybrid UI, which shows apps as they show up on Android tablets and let you use them more efficiently.
Keep in mind that this is not an official Samsung ROM but an unofficial custom ROM that is in development, and it may have a few issues present and some things may not work properly.
NOTE, Please Read: Since this is an unofficial stock Android based ROM, some features like 3G video calling will be unavailable as those are only possible on stock Samsung ROMs (video calls using 3rd party apps like Skype will work fine though). Some other features such as an FM radio will be missing too, and some apps like camera may not be the same as on stock ROMs.
Continue reading to find out how you can install ParanoidAndroid ROM on the Captivate.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Captivate, model number SGH-I897. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install ParanoidAndroid ROM on Samsung Captivate
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod recovery installed on the phone.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Alternate Link | Filename: gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
- Copy the zip files downloaded in step 3 and 4 to the internal SD card on the phone.
- Turn off your Captivate and wait for complete shutdown (wait for vibration and check capacitive button lights).
- Then, boot into CWM recovery. To do so, press and hold the Volume Up + Volume Down buttons while powering on the phone. When the screen turns on, let go of all three buttons. The phone will boot up into ClockworkMod recovery in a few seconds.
In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Then, perform the following steps:
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into ParanoidAndroid ROM. The first boot can take up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
ParanoidAndroid ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your Samsung Captivate. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.