CUSTOM ROM INFO
|Name||Octo Kat ROM|
|Android Version||Android 4.4.2 KitKat (Launched on Dec 9 by Google).|
|Is this official?||No. Official update from Samsung is expected to be released in Feb-March, 2014.|
|Stability||Good enough for daily use.|
|Credits||Treken, Team Octos|
[As of January 07, 2014]
- App-side bar refresh – App-side bar tends to disappear.
- Carrier Option menu choice force closes.
- Bluetooth when connected to Automotive Head units.
Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page.
You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
AT&T SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 KITKAT UPDATE INSTALLATION
Before you begin with guide instructions below, make sure your android device is adequately charged — at least 50% battery of the device.
STEP 0: CHECK DEVICE MODEL NO.
To make sure your device is eligible with this, you must first confirm its model no. in ‘About device’ option under Settings. Another way to confirm model no. is by looking for it on the packaging box of your device. It must be SGH-I337!
Do not use the procedures discussed here on any other Galaxy S4 (including the S4 devices at Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint and international ones) or any other device of Samsung or any other company. You have been warned!
STEP 1: BACKUP YOUR DEVICE
Back up important data and stuff before you start playing around here as there are chances you might lose your apps and app-data (app settings, game progress, etc.), and in rare case, files on the internal memory, too.
For help on Backup and Restore, check out our exclusive page on that linked right below.
STEP 2: INSTALL THE LATEST TWRP RECOVERY
Skip this step if you already have latest version of TWRP recovery installed on your device.
Make sure that you’ve latest version of the recovery installed on your device.
Older versions of TWRP recovery are not working with Android 4.4 based ROMs, throwing installation errors and WiFi bugs, therefore you need to use the latest version of TWRP recovery.
For help on installing recovery on your Galaxy S4, check our exclusive pages on TWRP recovery for Galaxy S4.
STEP 3: INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
Download the file given below and transfer it to a separate folder on your phone and remember the location.
DOWNLOAD LINK | File name: oct-20140106-jflteatt.zip (174.1 MB)
For latest version of the ROM, check the original page →
DOWNLOAD LINK | File name: Team-OctOS-AOSP-GApps.zip (106 MB)
Be sure to transfer the ROM and Gapps files you downloaded above to your phone and remember the location of the files. You will need to flash them now on your device using TWRP recovery.
This ROM only supports flashing through TWRP recovery, so use the guide below to install KitKat on your device.
GUIDE FOR TWRP RECOVERY USERS
- Boot into recovery mode. If you’re rooted, the easiest way to boot into recovery mode would be using the QuickBoot app. If not rooted, then follow the instructions below:
- Power off your device and wait for 5-10 seconds until the device is fully switched off.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Home + Power buttons together and release them as soon as you see the Galaxy S4 logo.
(For help, check out our Galaxy S4 Recovery Mode page).
- Create a Nandroid Backup from recovery. It’s optional but very important to do, so that in case something goes wrong you can restore to current status easily. For making a Nandroid Backup, go to Backup » and select all check boxes and swipe on the Swipe to confirm option at the bottom of the screen to confirm backup.
- Perform a Factory Reset (this will delete all apps and their settings and game progress). For this:
- Tap on Wipe » then at the bottom of the screen do a Swipe on the ‘Swipe to factory reset‘ option (screenshot).
- First Install the ROM file:
- Now similarly flash the Gapps file.
└ Make sure to first flash the ROM file and then the Gapps file.
- Reboot your device. Go back to the main menu of recovery and tap on Reboot » then, tap on System to reboot your phone.
That’s all. Your phone will now reboot and it will take some time as it’ll be phone’s first boot after installing Android 4.4, be extremely excited for this!
Note: In case your device gets bootloop (stuck at logo while rebooting), just do a factory reset (step 3) and you will be fine.
It was easy to install Octo Kat ROM, based on Android 4.4 KitKat, right? Let us know how it is to your liking in comments below.
Your suggestions and queries, if any, are most welcomed!