LeWa OS is a Gingerbread Android 2.3 custom ROM that not many have heard of. It combines features of Cyanogenmod 7 (CM7) with the beautiful interface of MIUI for a unique experience. XDA developer Koloses has released a LeWa OS ROM for the LG Optimus GT540, based on CM7.2 and runs on Android 2.3.7, the latest version of Gingerbread. It’s a testament to what wonders the custom development communities can concoct, making the latest ROMs run on a certain phone, even when the manufacturer of the phone says that its hardware is incapable of running even Froyo.
Let’s take a look at how you can install LeWa OS on your LG Optimus GT540.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the LG Optimus, model number GT540. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
Developer → Koloses
- An LG Optimus GT540 with Clockworkmod recovery installed.
- Sufficiently charged battery so that phone does not shut down during installation of ROM.
How to Install LeWa OS on LG Optimus GT540
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Transfer the downloaded zip file from step 4 to the SD card on the phone.
- Turn off the phone and boot into Clockworkmod recovery. To do this, press and hold the Home + Power buttons to boot into CWM. Use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power key to select an option.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Perform a wipe:
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select advanced, and then select wipe dalvik cache » Yes – wipe dalvik. Then go back to the main recovery menu.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone.
LeWa OS ROM is now installed on your LG Optimus GT540. Visit the original development page to get more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.