Install Ice Cream Sandwich ROM on the Samsung Fascinate — an Android 4.0 AOSP Rom
After Android 4.0 ICS ports were released over the past few days for the Samsung Galaxy S i9000, the Vibrant and the Captivate, could their cousin from Verizon, the Samsung Fascinate be far behind? Obviously, not.
While Samsung may take ages to release an Android 4.0 update for the Galaxy S family, which in itself seems to be a debatable question, we are thankful to the excellent developer community that exists for this fantastic device and we’re always optimistic that this entire family of the Galaxy S series would see some Ice Cream Sandwich, whether or not Samsung updates them as it should.
So here it is, thanks to Rootzwiki developer jt1134, Android 4.0 ICS custom ROM for the Fascinate. It is called Extreme Alphalulz, and is compiled entirely from the AOSP & Samsung source code & Samsung binaries. Like all other ICS builds out on the zone, this is also an Alpha build, so I wouldnt expect it to be a ROM that one could use as a daily driver.
Status as on 5th Dec 2011:
Radio (Calls / 3G / SMS/MMS)
What doesn’t work:
USB mass storage
Device encryption (fixed in upcoming build)
How to flash
- Don’t try this from MTD based roms like CM7, MIUI or any other AOSP rom. Make sure you have the an official Samsung firmware, which are based on BML, before flahsing this rom.
- Of course, you need to have ClockWorkMod recovery installed. So, if you don’t have one search and get that first.
- Back up your data,bookmarks, contacts, apps and everything else that you do not want to lose, as installing this ROM will erase all data. This guide should help you out with doing that.
- Download the Extreme Alphalulz V2 ROM here
- Transfer the rom to phone.
- Boot your fascinate into recovery mode by pressing and holding both volume keys and then pressing the power key. Keep holding both volume keys until Samsung logo appears.
- In recovery, do both Wipe Data & Wipe Cache Partition
- Go to install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard and browse and select the rom you transferred in step 5 above.
- Select yes to start flahsing the Android 4.0 based AOSP rom. Once done, reboot phone and you’ll have latest android OS, v4.0.1, on your Samsung Fascinate.
- You can follow the development on the Extreme Alphalulz ICS ROM in jt1134’s thread here.
Do let us know about your Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich experience in comments below.