Install Ice Cream Sandwich AOSP ROM on myTouch 4G Slide
With the flurry of ICS ROMs being made available by the ever so enthusiastic developer community, it was just a matter of time before we got a taste of Ice Cream Sandwich goodness on T-mobile’s myTouch 4G Slide. So all of you who own this particular device, and were wondering whether you would get to experience this brand new version of the Android OS on your phone, here it is, courtesy XDA developer tbalden. It’s called the Pyr-o-Ice ICS 0.2.0 alpha and is based on a leaked ICS ROM build for the HTC Pyramid.
For the uninitiated, Pyramid was the development codename for what is better known today as the HTC Sensation. It is based on the HTC Pyramid’s ICS framework and korneyone’s HTC Doubleshot kernel. ICS gapps (Google Applications package) is pre-installed, so you don’t need to flash gapps separately. It also retains some aspects of the HTC Sense base, the caller screen in particular, that we have come to love so much. Also included is the HTC Camera app.
At the risk of sounding repetitive, I would like to reiterate that is an alpha build, and is not meant for usage as a daily driver. There is a bunch of stuff that may not work, and there may be some force closing off and on. The notable thing, however, is that the essentials work fine…viz. phone calls, SMS, physical keyboard, camera, mobile data etc….For a complete list of what works/what is buggy, you can check out the development thread over here.
But those of you who want to get a taste of what ICS is going to look like on your device can definitely go ahead and try this out.
The methods and procedure discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!!!
Pyr-o-Ice ICS 0.2.0 alpha
For application specific fixes, updates and add-ons please visit the original post here.
- Make sure your device is S-off and you have installed the latest CWM recovery
- Download the ROM file and transfer it to the SD card of your device
- Perform a full back up of your existing ROM and your personal data
- Make sure your device is fully charged
- Copy downloaded ROM file to your SD Card
- Power off device and boot to recovery
- Perform a full wipe ( Data/Cache Partition/Dalvik Cache)
- Install zip from sd card ( Navigate to the zip file you transferred in Step 1)
- After installation completes, go back to the main CWM menu, and reboot the device
- After the device has booted, restart it once to let wifi/ media scan (music) to work, and read the TRICKS part about how you can add wifi (simple connect won’t work!!), and other useful things.
- Enjoy Ice Cream Sandwich on your myTouch 4g Slide!!
Enjoy your New Year present, and do let us know your experience with this ROM in comments below.