Finally, something a lot of AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket owners must have been waiting for is here. Cyanogenmod 9 aka CM9 is now available for the Skyrocket via an unofficial port, bringing you Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 with Cyanogenmod’s proven performance and smoothness, and a stock Android look without TouchWiz or bloatware apps.
However, keep in mind that this is a very early version of the ROM and has a few issues, even though majority of the important things work. Unexpected bugs and issues may show up at any time as this is an alpha version of the ROM.
Read the Known Issues under ROM Info section below, before attempting to install the ROM.
The ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, model number i727. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
Developer → topprospect
- On boot, you may get a pop-up asking for “SIM network unlock PIN”. Just press Cancel.
- “Use only 2G networks” option in Settings does not work
- Changing “Preferred network mode” in Settings may not work
- Sporadic graphics glitches exist (e.g. lock screen, rotation in Messages, when typing in a wi-fi password, etc)
- Touch screen can lock up; ignores touch input but physical and capacitive buttons works; requires reboot
- In-call audio is too soft
- In-call audio may be killed by turning GPS off (unclear exactly what is going on here)
- Camera does not work at all
- USB mounting of SD cards is broken
- Cannot wake from charging while powered off
- Battery stats in Settings do not work
How to Install Unofficial CM9 ROM on AT&T Skyrocket
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Important! You must use the touch enabled CWM recovery to install this ROM on your phone. Use the guide here to install touch CWM on your Skyrocket.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Link | Filename: gapps-ics-20120422-signed.zip
- Transfer the downloaded zip files from step 3 and step 4 to the internal SD card on the phone.
- Turn off the phone, then boot into CWM recovery. For this, press and hold these 3 buttons together until Samsung’s screen shows up: Volume UP + Volume Down + Power. Phone will boot into CWM recovery.
- Perform a wipe:
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select advanced, and then select wipe dalvik cache » Yes – wipe dalvik. Then go back to the main recovery menu.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it.
- Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After installation is complete, go back to the main recovery menu.
- Repeat step 8, but this time choose the Google apps file gapps-ics-20120422-signed.zip to install Google apps.
- After the installation of Google apps package is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone.
The Cyanogenmod aka CM9 ROM is now installed on your AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. If you run into any bugs or issues, don’t forget to try and report it in the official development thread, where you’ll also get more info and the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.