Samsung Captivate owners can get another taste of Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 with AOKP ROM build 27. Some of you might have already flashed build 26 of the ROM which we posted about a few days ago. Those that are on build 26 need only put the ROM’s zip file on their sdcard and install it from recovery without doing anything else. Those who are new to the ROM, read on to find out how to flash the ROM on your phone.
You can get more info on AOKP ROM from the guide for build 26 → here. The ROM is still in beta stage as AOKP is a work in progress and under development, so expect bugs and issues to be present in the ROM.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Captivate, model number I897. It’s not compatible with any other device. So, be sure to try this only on Samsung Captivate and not any other device.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
- Rooted Samsung Captivate with Clockworkmod Recovery installed.
- Make sure the battery is sufficiently charged. At least 50% is recommended.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install AOKP Build 27 on Samsung Captivate
- Download the Samsung Captivate version of the ROM to your PC from the original development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM.
Download Link | Filename: gapps-ics-20120224-signed.zip
- Transfer the downloaded zip files from step 1 and step 2 to the root of the internal SD card.
- Turn off the phone. Start Clockworkmod recovery. In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore » On the next screen, select Backup again.
- Select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm data wipe (will NOT wipe your SD cards).
- Now select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it.
- Now confirm installation by selecting “Yes – Install *your_rom_name*.zip” on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select “go back” to go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now repeat step 7, but this time select the Google apps package file gapps-ics-20120224-signed.zip to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the phone.
Enjoy using AOKP ROM on your Samsung Captivate. Visit the development page to get more info and the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.