AOKP ROM continues to expand to more and more devices, bringing Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 with faster performance and amazing customizability to different Android devices, both officially and unofficially. XDA Senior Member termleech has now brought AOKP ROM to the Asus Transformer TF300T via an unofficial port.
NOTE: Since the ROM is under development, there are some known issues in the ROM that are mentioned below. The issues will get fixed as time goes by, so be sure to check to the development page (linked in step 3 of the guide below) for the latest list of known issues.
- Following buttons don’t work on dock
- WiFi button
- BT button
- Pointer disable/enable button
- Brightness up/down/Auto
- Volume Mute
- Play/Back/Skip Media buttons
- No configuration for dock
- Issue with battery icon not appearing after a disconnect and reconnect of the dock
- Tablet does not lock when closing when attached to dock
- Notification transparency does not work
Having said that, most of the things that matter do work, so be sure to try AOKP ROM out on your Transformer TF300T. Read on to find out how you can install AOKP on your TF300T.
This guide is applicable only for Asus Transformer TF300T. DO NOT try this on any other device.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install AOKP on Asus Transformer TF300T
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Install ClockworkMod recovery using the guide → here.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip files from step 3 and step 4 to the internal SD card.
- Shut down the tablet. Then boot into CWM recovery. To do that, press and hold Volume Down + Power, until a message appears on-screen saying “Press Vol. Up to enter RCK (5s)”. Here, in less than 5 seconds, press the Volume Up button to enter CWM recovery.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to navigate/scroll and the power button to select. If the buttons don’t work, scroll up and down by swiping up and down on the screen, and select options by tapping on them.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete (this will not erase your personal files).
- Now select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it.
- Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select go back and then select reboot system now to reboot your tablet and boot into AOKP.
- Important! If you do not like AOKP for some reason and want to go back to your previous ROM, turn off the tablet and boot into recovery as given in step 6. Then, select backup and restore, then select restore. Then press the power button again to start restoring your previous ROM. Once restore is complete, go back and reboot the tablet to boot up into your previous ROM.
AOKP is now installed on your Asus Transformer TF300T. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.
Also check out CM9 ROM for the Transformer TF300T → here.