An alpha development build of Jelly Bean Android 4.1 has been released for 4.5-inch Super AMOLED Plus display-toting AT&T Infuse 4G. Jelly Bean brings many new features and improvements to Android, such as a smooth as butter interface, advanced search functionality, Google Now for automated information, better and smarter Android keyboard, an improved and actionable notifications menu, and more.
NOTE: This ROM is a work in progress and is not completely suitable for daily use as some things might not work properly and there may be a few bugs and issues in the ROM. Consider it only a preview of Jelly Bean for the Infuse 4G.
The following things currently work/don’t work in the ROM, quoted from the official development page (where you can get the most updated list of issues, linked in step 3 of the guide below):
normal everyday features
What Doesnt Work?
Main functions such as calling/wifi/bluetooth – for now anyways..
Read on to find out how you can update your Infuse 4G to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.
This ROM and the guide below is compatible only and only with AT&T Infuse 4G, model number I997. It’s not compatible with any other device. Do not try this even on the Rogers Infuse 4G. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone. If it’s not I997, please do not attempt this.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Jelly Bean Android 4.1 on the AT&T Infuse 4G
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Install the UCLB3 firmware on your phone by following the guide → here. This will also install ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery, which is necessary for installing the ROM. Skip this step if you already have CWM recovery.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Copy the downloaded .zip file from step 3 to the internal SD card.
- Now, turn off your phone, then boot into ClockworkMod recovery. To do this, turn the phone off, disconnect USB cable if connected, hold the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power buttons together, release the power button when Samsung logo appears, but continue to hold volume buttons until recovery screen appears, then let go of them.
In recovery, use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- The phone might reboot into recovery in the middle of installation and continue installing the ROM. If it does NOT continue installation, repeat step 7.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone into Jelly Bean Android 4.1.
- Going back to stock ROM: To go back to a stock Samsung ROM again, you can flash the UCLB3 firmware by following the guide linked in step 2 above.
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your AT&T Infuse 4G. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.