The Asus Transformer Prime is getting custom ROMs these days at a rate faster than we can keep up with it seems. Ever since Asus released the official Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) Android 4.0 update for the Prime, we’ve seen a constant barrage of custom ROMs based on the official update. Another ROM based on the ICS update, Icylicious ROM, has been released for the Prime.
Icylicious ROM is pretty much stock, except for changing the looks of the buttons and icons, adding a shiny 3D effect to the UI. It comes in two flavors: a light and fast version that removes most of the Asus apps, and a full version that leaves everything intact. Both versions have a few 3rd party apps pre-installed such as Go Keyboard, Avast Antivirus and more.
Read on to find out how you can flash Icylicious ROM on your Asus Transformer Prime.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Asus Transformer Prime, model number TF201. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About Tablet.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
Developer → ATGAdmin
- A rooted and bootloader-unlocked Transformer Prime TF201 with Clockworkmod Recovery installed. Check this guide for rooting Honeycomb firmware and this page for rooting Ice Cream Sandwich firmware. Install Clockworkmod recovery by following the guide → here.
- Make sure the battery is sufficiently charged. At least 50% is recommended.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install Icylicious ROM on Transformer Prime
- Download the latest version of the ROM, either the light or full version, from the original development thread.
- Transfer the downloaded zip file from step 1 to the root of your SD card on your tablet.
- Turn off the device and boot into Clockworkmod Recovery.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, Select Backup again. Restore your backup using the “restore” option when required.
- Perform a wipe:
- Select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm data wipe (will NOT wipe your SD cards).
- Then, select “advanced”, then select “wipe dalvik cache”, then select “Yes” to confirm. After wiping dalvik cache, select “go back” to go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it.
- Now confirm installation by selecting “Yes – Install *your_rom_name*.zip” on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the tablet.
The Icylicious ROM, based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 is now installed on your Transformer Prime. Visit the development page to get more info and the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.
Those who own the Acer Iconia Tab A500 can also get Icylicious ROM for their tablet by following the guide posted → here.