Ice Cream Sandwich Update for AT&T Skyrocket SGH-i727 [Custom ROM]
The AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket may not get as much developer love as the Galaxy S2 i9100, its best-selling international sibling, but it seems to be getting its fair share lately. XDA developer xboarder56 has released an Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) Android 4.0.3 based custom ROM for the Skyrocket, Evervolv ICS 4.0.3.
Evervolv ICS is based on AOSP (Android Open Source Project) and brings you the stock Android 4.0 experience on your Skyrocket, without the custom Samsung TouchWiz UI on top. The ROM is built from Evervolv sources, an AOSP project for Android phones, and it is touted to be fast with a few custom tweaks and modifications.
The ROM is still a work in development though, so bugs and issues have not been completely ironed out yet, and there’s a long list of things that do not work., so keep that in mind before trying it out. The ROM is not suitable for everyday use as of the time of this article.
Let’s see how Evervolv ICS can be flashed on your Galaxy S2 i727 Skyrocket.
This ROM and the guide below is compatible only and only with the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, model number i727. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
Developer → xboarder56
Not Working/Known Issues:
- Internal sdcard
- Mounting sd cards via pc
- WIFI DIRECT
- HW ACCELL not all the way
- Important! A rooted Galaxy S2 Skyrocket i727 with Clockworkmod recovery installed. You can use the guide → here.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
How to flash Evervolv ICS on Galaxy S2 Skyrocket i727
- Download the latest version of Evervolv ICS ROM from the original development page.
- Transfer the zip file you downloaded above to your internal sdcard (not the external microSD).
- Turn off the phone, then boot into recovery mode. For this, press and hold these 3 buttons together until Samsung’s screen shows up: Volume UP+Volume Down+Power. Phone will boot into CWM recovery. Use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power/home key to select an option.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select “backup and restore” –> On the next screen, Select Backup again. Then go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now, select “wipe data/factory reset”. Then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm. (This will not touch your SD cards so don’t worry).
- Then, select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Browse to the file you transferred to the sdcard in step 2 and select it.
- Confirm installation on the next screen by selecting the option “Yes — Install *your_rom_name*.zip“. The ROM will now start installing.
- After installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the phone.
There you go. Evervolv ICS is now installed on your AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket i727 and you can enjoy stock Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 on it. Follow the original development page to track the progress on the ROM and to get the latest updates on it. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.