Desire HD owners who have been anxiously waiting to try out Ice Cream Sandwich on their devices, can start celebrating!!! XDA member LorD ClockaN has decided to continue development on a previously released Beta ROM for the HTC Desire HD. The new ROM is called LC ICS 4.0.3 – 1.0.beta1 and is based on AOSP & CM9.
Well, there’s always room for a new custom ROM based on ICS in the Androidsphere today. As is evident from the name of the ROM, it is still a Beta, and that means there would be some bugs that one can expect. However, the dev team is working hard behind the scenes to iron these bugs out, and we should have a fully functional ROM soon enough.
Lets have a quick peek at the What Works/What doesn’t list, quoted from the development thread:
WORK (Y) / NOT WORK (N)
- 2D accel: Y
- 3D accel: Y
- Wlan: Y
- Bluetooth: Y
- Rotation : Y
- GPS: Y
- SD: Y
- SD Mount: Y
- Signal bar icon fixed: Y
- Soft buttons: Y
- Leds: Y
- Headset: Y
- Wlan tether: Y
- Full video playback: Y – HD videos still not working nicely
- Camera: Y – thanks to zbwu86
- USB tether: N
Pretty good for a Beta ROM, eh? Now lets read on to see how we can get this ROM running on your Desire HD.
The steps and methods included in this guide are considered risky. Please do not attempt to try this unless you know exactly what you are doing, as it may render your device unusable, and your pocket lighter by the amount it takes to replace it. You have been forewarned!!!
This ROM is compatible only and only with the HTC Desire HD. Please do not attempt to flash it on any other device. We are not responsible for any damage that may be caused to your device.
Filename: update-LC-ICS-1.0.beta1-DesireHD-signed.zip | Size : 122 MB
- Rooted/S-off HTC Desire HD with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Back up all your personal data. You can use this excellent Android Backup Guide as reference.
- Fully Charged battery
- Download the LC ICS 4.0.3 Beta2 Rom file from the link given above
- Transfer the downloaded zip file to the root of your external microSD card on the HTC Desire HD
- Switch off your phone, and reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery (Hold Volume Down and the Power button, then use Volume Down to highlight “bootloader” and press the Power button to select it. Once in the bootloader, use Volume Down to select “recovery” and press the Power button to select)
- Perform a Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, Select Backup again.
- Perform a Full Wipe.
- Wipe data / factory reset –> Confirm Wipe data/Factory reset on the next screen
- Wipe Cache Partition –> Confirm Wipe cache partition on the next screen
- From the main menu, select Advanced, and then Wipe Dalvik Cache–>Confirm Wipe Dalvik on the next screen
- Now scroll to “Install zip from sdcard” and select it.
- Select “Choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the file you transferred in Step 2 and select it.
- Now confirm installation by selecting “Yes — Install “update-LC-ICS-1.0.beta1-DesireHD-signed.zip”. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select “Go back” and then select “Reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
- Congratulations!! You now have Ice Cream Sandwich on your HTC Desire HD!! Enjoy!!
You can visit the original development thread to check for updates, mods, fixes to this ROM, and to read what other users are experiencing. So go ahead and give it a whirl, and do share your comments/issues with us in comments below so that we can try and help you fix them.