A new custom Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 ROM has been released for the AT&T Galaxy Note i717 by XDA modder playin4sheezy. Called Noteworthy (wonder where that name come from), it’s based on the UCLC5 Android 4.0 firmware that leaked for the AT&T Note a few days ago, and removes a few unnecessary apps aka bloatware from it.
Here’s a look at some of the important features of the ROM:
- Major Battery Tweaks
- Few Performance Tweaks
- Increased overall network speed
- Added AOSP ICS Calendar with widget
- Removed Bloat: Buddies Now, City ID, lcdtest, Media Hub, MiniDiary, MobilePrint, PolarisOffice, Samsung Apps, Samsung News Widget, Samsung Program Monitor Widget, Samsung Weather Clock Widget, Social Hub, SNS Accounts(they are irrelevant), Social Hub Widget, Voice Talk, WISPR
- Deodexed and zip-aligned
- AOSP Lock Screen
- Removed TW Launcher
The ROM is currently in its early stages and has not been tested completely, but has been tested by users to be working well enough on their Notes. So expect a few bugs and issues to be present in the ROM.
Let’s take a look at the installation procedure for Noteworthy ROM on the AT&T Galaxy Note i717.
This firmware and the guide below is compatible only and only with AT&T Galaxy Note, SGH-i717. It’s not compatible with any other device, including international version N7000. Check your device’s model number in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
- Important! An AT&T Galaxy Note with ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install Noteworthy ROM on AT&T Galaxy Note
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Transfer the zip file downloaded in step 1 to the internal SD card on the phone.
- Turn off the Note, then boot into CWM recovery. In recovery, use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select mounts and storage, then:
- Select format system and select Yes on the next screen to confirm.
- Select format data and select Yes on the next screen to confirm.
- Select format cache and select Yes on the next screen to confirm.
- After completing step 5, go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it.
- Now confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone.
The Noteworthy ROM is now installed on your AT&T Galaxy Note. Visit the original development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments. Do let us know whether the ROM is worthy of the Note (couldn’t resist), in the comments below.