Galaxy Tab 10.1 Gets Ice Cream Sandwich Rom, a CM9 Port!
Waiting for your manufacturer to update your device to latest Android OS version is a painful thing. And the case with users of Galaxy Tab 10.1 is no different, to whom promised Ice Cream Sandwich update from Samsung will shower not anytime before stated Q1 2012 release — which means March ‘12, if btw not delayed to April ‘12.
So, there is a right reason to cheer for, when we hear that a developer (or team of 2) has released his own rom, based on Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (WiFi version only, btw). Yes, you can run Ice Cream Sandwich on your Galaxy Tab before 2012 arrives and that too without waiting for Samsung to gift you an update.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!!!
This rom and the guide below is compatible only with Galaxy Tab 10.1 (WiFi edition with no 3G), model number GT-7510. Don’t try this on Galaxy Tab 10.1 with 3G. Also, it’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About device.
Things to take care of before Installing ROMs
- Installing/Flashing this ROM will erase your apps and data. So, it’s a very important you back them up before proceeding further. To backup your apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. this Android backup guide would help you. Restore APN settings if Internet isn’t working for you, after installing the rom. And if you are using a rooted phone, you can save application’s data too, using Titanium backup (free app on android market) to backup apps with apps with data. Use the same app again to restore those apps with data.
- Drivers! — it’s important you’ve the proper drivers installed. Download links — 32 bit (x86) Windows | 64-bit (x64) Windows
Camera isn’t working in this rom right now, although that doesn’t mean much for a tablet. That apart, you’ll experience bugs here and there. But for all Ice Cream Sandwich love this tablet’s gonna get you, and given that Samsung will take its own (huge) time in bringing you the update, it’s still very very exciting rom.
If you’re a pro, with sound knowledge of CWM, flashing, etc., it’s easy for you. Just download the Android 4.0 rom from step 2 below, and flash using CWM. However, if you’re ‘new’ to all this, see the guide below.
How to Install Ice Cream Sandwich (CM9) on Galaxy Tab 10.1 (WiFi only)
- You’re going to need a Clockworkmod recovery to flash the ICS rom on your Tab. Either Google it or look here on how to install Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery on your Galaxy Tab 101. P7510 WiFi edition.
- Download the latest version of the rom from the development page here. Current version (Dec 26, 2012) can be downloaded from here.
- Transfer the rom to your tablet’s internal sdcard. Remember the location of file on sdcard.
- Disconnect the tablet from PC. Power it off — wait for 6-7 seconds after screen goes off.
- Boot into recovery mode — press and hold (until you see two options) both Power and Volume down keys. Press Volume Down key to move your selection recovery mode’s icon and press Volume Up select the recovery mode.
- [Optional] Make a backup of you current rom from backup and restore option.
- Do wipe data/factory reset.
- Do wipe cache partition.
- Go to Advanced, and do wipe dalvik cache.
- Come back to main screen and select install zip from sd card » choose zip from sd card (or internal sdcard, if that works) » browse through sdcard and select the rom file you transferred in step 3 above. Select Yes on next screen.
- This will begin the flashing of Cyanogenmod 9 on your Galaxy Tab 10.1. You’ll be back recovery mode. Go back and select reboot system now, to restart the tablet.
- Upon restart, your Galaxy Tab 10.1 will be running coolly on Android 4.0 – Ice Cream Sandwich. Enjoy!
Share your thoughts and problems, if any, in comments below.