We’ve got an Android 4.0 ROM (in alpha version) for our international version of Galaxy S2, i9100, but our friends at T-Mobile in US who have a slightly different version of S2, are yet to get one true AOSP Android 4.0 ROM for their Galaxy S2. But fret not, if you’ve got the Galaxy S2 device at T-Mobile, there is a custom ROM to ease you for the time being, till real Android 4.0 firmware/rom is out.
Called Domination — it’s got the ICS theme, which makes it look very much like an actual Android 4.0 ROM, and it’s faster, no-bloatware ROM, based on Android 2.3.5 with Samsung’s beautiful TouchViz 4 UI. It’s not based on Android 4.0, ice Cream Sandwich, btw, in case it needed repetition.
[warning]The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!!![/warning]
[error]This guide is applicable only for Samsung’s Galaxy S2 at T-Mobile SGH-T989 — and not for that one at AT&T, Sprint or international version. Check your phone’s version in Settings – About Phone. It has to be “SGH-T989” for this firmware to be compatible with your phone. If it’s not SGH-T989, simply don’t try this ROM on your android handset — don’t even think about it if you care about your android device.[/error]
Info about the ROM:
Things to take care of before Installing ROMs
- Installing/Flashing this ROM will erase your apps and data. So, it’s a very important you back them up before proceeding further. To backup your apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. this Android backup guide would help you. Restore APN settings if Internet isn’t working for you. And if you are using a rooted phone, you can save application’s data too, using Titanium backup (free app on android market) to backup apps with apps with data. Use the same app again to restore those apps with data.
- Drivers! — it’s important you’ve the proper drivers installed. Download links below:
How to Install Domination — Ice Cream Sandwich Based custom ROM for T-Mobile Galaxy S2 SGH-T989
- You need to have clockworkmod recovery installed on your phone. If you don’t have it, use this Guide on ClockWorkMod recovery for T-Mobile Galaxy S2.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page here.
- Transfer the ROM to your phone’s sdcard.
- Disconnect phone from PC. Power it off — wait for 6-7 seconds after screen goes off.
- Boot into recovery mode by pressing both Volume UP and Down keys and then Power key.
- In recovery, select install zip from sd card » choose zip from sd card » browse through sd card and select the rom file you transferred in step 3 above. Select Yes on next screen
- This will begin the flashing od Domination ROM, after which you’ll be back in recovery. Go back, and select ‘reboot system now’ to reboot the phone.
- [Optional] If you like this ROM, support the development by donating to the developer – Revolution.
Share you thoughts and problems, if any, in comments below.