The I9100G variant of the international Galaxy S2 has been quite lucky with Jelly Bean ROMs, having received a better and more stable port of CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) much earlier than the official I9100 CM10 ROM. Jelly Bean Android 4.1 is the smoothest and fastest version of Android yet and has many other important features such as advanced voice recognition, offline voice typing, Google Now (which presents info to the user such as traffic info without their intervention) and more, so the race to get to the first stable Jelly Bean ROM is even more important, while Samsung decides when and if the I9100G will get an official Android 4.1 update.
Now, another famous ROM – AOKP, which is known for its plentiful customization options and now based on Jelly Bean – has come unofficially to the Galaxy S2 I9100G, courtesy of XDA Recognized Developer fuss132. The ROM is in its early stages at this point so it has a few bugs and issues and is not yet suitable for daily use, but it does serve as a preview of Jelly Bean based AOKP ROM for the I9100G for those interested in trying it out.
The ROM currently has the following issue (quoted from the development page):
“Your sd card is damaged” showing up with no reason. SD is correct but can not be mounted
To try the ROM out, follow the guide below for step-by-step instructions on how to install it.
This firmware and the guide below are compatible only and only with Galaxy S2, model number I9100G. It’s not compatible with the I9100 or any other device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Unofficial AOKP Jelly Bean ROM on Galaxy S2 I9100G
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Install the stock Android 4.0.3 XXLPQ firmware on your phone by following the guide → here.
- Install Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery on XXLPQ by following the guide → here.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from its development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip files from step 4 and step 5 to the internal SD card.
- Turn off the phone and boot into Clockworkmod recovery. For this, press and hold these 3 buttons together until the screen turns on: Volume UP + Home + Power. Phone will boot into CWM recovery.
Use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power key to select an option in recovery.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into AOKP ROM. The first boot can take up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
- NOTE: To go back to a stock Samsung ROM again, you can flash the XXLPQ firmware by following the guide linked in step 2 above.
AOKP ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your Galaxy S2 I9100G. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.