Another day, and yet another Cyanogenmod 9 (CM9) build comes out, for yet another android phone — yet, all of which is good. This time around, it’s for none other than the HTC Sensation. XDA member Vorbeth has just released a test build of CM9 for the Sensation.
It’s called OpenSensation and is an early Alpha, and might not be completely ready yet for daily usage. But definitely worth a try, to get a flavor of CM9 Ice Cream Sandwich on your HTC Sensation.
For the uninitated, Cyanogenmod 9 is an AOSP based rom, running Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich at the core. CM9, across the board, is under heavy development and does have bugs serious enough to let downs one’s larger than life enthusiasm of trying it, but it’s just a matter of time before these are ironed out and steady builds are released. So, lets get the goods.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the HTC Sensation. It’s not compatible with any other device. So, be sure to try this only on HTC Sensation and not any other device.
- Developer → Vorbeth
- Rooted HTC Sensation with Clockworkmod Recovery installed.
- Battery charged to minimum of 50%.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install Cyanogenmod 9 (CM9) on HTC Sensation
- Download the HTC Sensation CM9 rom from the original development page.
- CM9, be default is void of Google apps, so you gotta download and flash them in recovery separately (in step 10 below). For now, download the gapps file too from the original development page linked in step 1 above.
- Transfer both the downloaded zip files (of rom and gapps) to your external microSD card on the HTC Sensation.
- Turn off the phone. Start Clockworkmod recovery by simultaneously pressing and holding the Volume down button and the Power button. From the resulting HBOOT menu, press Volume down to select the Recovery option and press the Power button to activate it.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore » On the next screen, select Backup again.
- Perform a full wipe. First select Wipe data / factory reset » select Yes on the next screen.
- Next, select Wipe Cache Partition » select Yes then
- From the main menu of recovery, select Advanced, and then Wipe Dalvik Cache » select Yes on the next screen. You’re done wiping off the data now. Lets flash the CM9 rom now.
- From the main menu of recovery, select “Install zip from sdcard” » “Choose zip from sdcard” » scroll to and select the rom file from step 1. Select Yes on next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- It’s time to flash the gapps. select “Install zip from sdcard” » “Choose zip from sdcard” » scroll to and select the gapps file from step 2.
- After the flashing of both rom and gapps is done, select “go back” and then select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
- The first boot will take time, so wait a while for the phone to boot up, and when it does, enjoy the Cyanogenmod 9 on HTC Sensation.
That’s it. You now have CM9 installed on your HTC Sensation. Visit the original development page to check development progress and updates. Share your thoughts and problems in the comments below and we’ll do our best to help you out.