AOKP is an Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 ROM based on stock Android sources, that brings fast and smooth performance along with a multitude of customization options that give you more control over the ROM. It provides a stock Android experience as found on Google’s Nexus devices, without any bloatware or custom manufacturer UIs.
So just follow the guide below to install the AOKP ROM on your HTC Sensation and get the Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 experience as it is meant to be.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the HTC Sensation. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install AOKP ROM on HTC Sensation
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- [Important] Your HTC Sensation must have S-Off and its bootloader must be unlocked. You can unlock the bootloader on the phone officially → here. Also, make sure ClockworkMod recovery is installed on your phone.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip files from step 3 and step 4 to the SD card.
- Turn off the phone, then boot into Clockworkmod recovery by simultaneously pressing and holding the Volume down button and the Power button. From the resulting HBOOT menu, press Volume down to select the Recovery option and press the Power button to activate it.
In recovery, use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into AOKP ROM. The first boot can take up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
AOKP ROM is now installed on your HTC Sensation. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.
Also check out CM9 ROM for the HTC Sensation → here.