Being able to install custom ROMs and hacks on Android phones needs one to have a custom recovery installed on the phone. And there’s no recovery more famous than Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery which is used in the majority of Android devices as the custom recovery of choice.
This guide will take you through the steps required to install CWM recovery on the HTC One V, with detailed instructions, so you can start flashing custom ROMs and get the most out of your phone.
Read on to find out how you can install Clockworkmod recovery on the HTC One V.
This guide is applicable only for HTC One V. DO NOT try this on any other device.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Clockworkmod Recovery on HTC One V
- Unlock the bootloader on your One V by following the guide → here.
- Download the following two files:
- Now install the HTC Sync software you downloaded in Step 2.1 on your PC. This will install the necessary drivers for the phone.
- Download the latest version of Clockworkmod recovery from → here. You will get a file named recovery.img after downloading.
- Extract the fastboot.zip file you downloaded in Step 2.2 on your PC and you’ll see the following four files inside a folder named fastboot:
- Now, turn off the phone. Then, turn on the phone in bootloader mode by pressing and holding down the Volume Down + Power keys together. Here, highlight Fastboot by using the volume keys then select it using the Power button to enter fastboot mode. Then, connect the phone to the computer.
- Then, do the following:
- Open the fastboot folder that you extracted in Step 5.
- Then open a Command prompt window inside the fastboot folder. To do that: “Shift + Right Click” on any empty white space inside the folder and select the ‘Open command window here’. See image below:
- Now type the following in the command prompt window and press Enter:
You will get a string of random numbers and letters on the screen as shown in screenshot below, this is to ensure that your device is detected, if nothing appears on-screen with this command, then it means you don’t have the proper drivers installed on your PC. And if that’s the case you should download and install/re-install the HTC Sync software given in Step 1.1. And also restart your PC if required.
- Now, keep the command prompt window open. Then, copy the recovery.img file downloaded in step 4 to the fastboot folder extracted in step 5, so that you have a total of 5 files inside the fastboot folder.
- Then, enter the following command in command prompt, then press Enter to flash the recovery on your phone:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- You will get a finished/OKAY message after recovery has been flashed. Then, reboot the phone by typing fastboot reboot and pressing Enter in the command prompt window.
- That’s it. CWM recovery has been installed on your HTC One V. To try it out, turn off the phone and boot into bootloader mode as given in step 6 above. Then, highlight the Recovery option and select it using the Power key to enter Clockworkmod recovery.
You can now use CWM recovery on your phone to install custom ROMs and other hacks that require CWM. Let us know how it works for you, in the comments below.