HTC Desire 816 blessed Android 5.1 update, via CM12.1 of course
The latest Android update, 5.1, is now available for the HTC Desire 816 handset, too. Of course, it’s not official update from HTC, heck, it’s not even official of custom ROM, CM12.1. Rather, it’s an unofficial port of the CM12.1 right now, but it does the job anyway.
The build isn’t free of errors, but if you wanna play Android 5.1 on your Desire 816, this is your best bet.
Note: DO NOT install it on dual-SIM Desire 816.
You need TWRP recovery for this, of course, because you cannot install a custom ROM’s .zip file without a custom recovery. Grab one from here, if you already know how to work with fastboot mode. There’s good instructions set there, too. For more help, Google is your friend.
WARNING: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Again, do not install this version of CM12.1 on dual-SIM Desire 816.
Important Note: Backup important files stored on your device before proceeding with the steps below, so that in case something goes wrong you’ll have backup of all your important files.
- Transfer the ROM file and Gapps package file to your device’s internal storage and remember the location where you save it.
- Install a custom recovery (TWRP, CWM, etc.) on your device. Either search our site or Google it! Btw, you can get the TWRP recovery from here. There’s good instructions set there, too. For more help, Google is your friend.
- Boot into Recovery mode via adb, hardware buttons or if your device is rooted use the QuickBoot app →
- Once in recovery mode, take a backup of your current ROM. On TWRP, select Backup » and do a “Swipe to Back Up” on the bottom of the screen.
- Once the backup is finished, select Wipe » and do a “Swipe to Factory Reset” on the bottom of the screen.
- Go back to the main menu of TWRP recovery and select Install.
- Navigate to the file where you saved your ROM’s zip file, select it and “Swipe to Confirm Flash” on the bottom of the screen. Now wait until the flashing process finishes.
- Once ROM is flashed, flash the Gapps package in a similar way like you flashed the ROM file.
- After flashing both the files. Go to back to recovery’s Main menu, select Reboot » select System.
Your device will now reboot with CM12.1, and Android 5.1. Be extremely excited for this!