It’s been quite some time since HP’s famous palm OS based $99 tablet, HP Touchpad got in news for some android hackery stuff. And surely, more than few people were waiting for the launch of MIUI — especially once CM7 rom was out, which is the first step to porting of MIUI since it relies completely on CM7.
Well, the wait is over. The MIUI rom, in its latest version 1.12.9, is now out for HP Touchpad — and an Alpha version is available for download too, to satisfy your flashing needs.
The HP Touchpad comes pre-installed with WebOS, so you would need Cyanogenmod rom (aka CM7) installed on it to be able to install MIUI on this very budget friendly tablet. And installing CM7 on touchpad is a tiring thing to do, no joke. See the guide (step 1) below for links and all that.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!!!
This rom and guide below is compatible only and only with HP Touchpad. It’s not compatible with any other device.
How to Install MIUI on HP Touchpad
- If you don’t have CM7 already installed, use the well written and adequately explained guide here to install CM7. This process is gonna take time, and is geeky too so be prepared for all the mess to follow. Oh btw, skip this step if CM7 is already installed on your touchpad.
- Download the latest version of the MIUI rom from the development page here.
- Transfer the MIUI rom to your touchpad, and then power it off.
- Boot into recovery mode. For this, long press the power key and select reboot. Now select recovery to reboot into recovery mode.
- In recovery, select install zip from sd card » choose zip from sd card (or internal sdcard, if that works) » browse through sd card and select the MIUI rom file you transferred in step 3 above. Select Yes on next screen.
- MIUI rom will be flashed on your touchpad and when it’s done, go back and select reboot system now to reboot the touchpad.
- Upon reboot, you’ll have MIUI running on your touchpad. Enjoy!
- [Optional] If you like this rom — which you do, obviously — consider supporting the development by donating to the developer — scott951, whom (and the CM7 team) you should thank for porting of MIUI on HP Touchpads.
If you need help with something, let us know in comments below.