The largest Android phone to date from Asus, the Zenfone 6, just received its share of Lollipop update. The update’s version is v184.108.40.206, and you need to be on software version 220.127.116.11 to be compatible with the Lollipop update. Hence first make sure of that — we would suggest you to go into Settings > About phone > System update, and then tap on ‘Check update’ button. Most probably, the required version 18.104.22.168 will be installed when you click on ‘Check Update’ button.
Zenfone 6’s cousins, Zenfone 5 and Zenfone 4 have also received the 5.0 update, btw. Know that this Lollipop update is available only for Zenfone 6 WW version, and not any other variant of Zenfone 6. Careless installation can hard-brick your device, so be careful and confirm all the requirements first before attempting to install the Android 5.0 update.
The Zenfone 6 Lollipop update comes with few caveats. Nothing major but Lollipop update is not compatible with some of the apps currently pre-installed on your device. below is the list of apps that will be automatically removed when you update your Zenfone 6 to Android 5.1.
Unsupported apps on Asus Zenfone 6 Android 5.0 Lollipop Update:
- Battery widget
- PhotoFrame widget
- Google Text-To-Speech
- Movie Studio
- Cloud Print
- Magic Smoke Wallpapers
The above apps will be uninstalled automatically. You can find similar apps in Google play store easily. So, don’t worry about them going.
Here’s a full changelog of Asus Zenfone 6 Android 5.0 Lollipop update.
- SuperNote: change to link-downloading version
- Asuswebstorage: change to link-downloading version
- Remote Link: change to link-downloading version
- Lockscreen: remove standalone wallpaper & weather info (only for 1GB RAM device)
- Quick settings/Recent app layout change (only for 1GB RAM device)
- Dialer/Contacts: reduce tab count from 5 to 3; remove group tab name/photo; remove foreground service (only for 1GB RAM device)
- InCall screen: remove inCall animation & cover (only for 1GB RAM device)
- Fix the problem of losing some files after changing the folder name in File Manager
- Add KKBOX (link-downloading) (Taiwan only)
- Add Dr. eye (link-downloading) (Taiwan only)
- Add Zinio (link-downloading)
- Add PubuBookBuffet (link-downloading) (Taiwan only)
- Add eReadingNow (link-downloading) (Taiwan only)
- Add ASUS Game Center (link-downloading) (Taiwan only)
How to Install Zenfone 6 Lollipop Update manually
- ASUS ZenFone 6, model no. T00G, WW variant, running software v22.214.171.124
- Don’t try on any Zenfone 6 variant or any other Zenfone device from Asus
- Don’t try on any other device whatsoever
Disclamer: Installing an official OTA doesn’t void your device’s warranty, but you need to be cautious when trying to update device yourself. In any case, you only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Backup necessary stuff. In case your device is wiped off, it’s good to have backup of contacts, photos, videos and other files. Hence, create a backup of important stuff in your phone right away.
- Confirm your Asus Zenfone is the right model for update. Go into Settings > About phone, and check the 3 pre-requisites mention below:
- Is your device’s model no. ASUS_T00G?
- Is the current software version is 126.96.36.199? (Check under software information.)
Tip: If your current software version isn’t exactly 188.8.131.52, then simply check for update already available. In About phone, tap on ‘System update’, and then tap on ‘check update’ button.
- Is it a WW model? Should not be CN, TW, etc. (See build no. for this.)
- If answer to above three questions is Yes, proceed to download.
- Download the Android 5.0 Lollipop update for your Asus Zenfone 6 from here. File: UL-ASUS_T00G-WW-184.108.40.206-user.zip (700.41 MB)
- Don’t extract the .zip file you got.
- Transfer the file to your phone’s internal storage. Don’t put inside any folder or sub-folder of internal storage. Put it where you have folders like DCIM, Android, Movies, Ringtones, etc.
- Disconnect your Zenfone 6 from PC.
- The phone should recognize the update automatically. Phone will show a notification saying ‘System Update File Detected.. Touch to start the system update’. That’s your goods.
- Touch the Notification to get a pop-up.
- Pop-up will show a filename of your Lollipop update. make sure Lollipop update is selected, and then tap on OK.
- Phone will enter recovery mode and will install the Lollipop update by itself. When it’s done, it will restart automatically, and you can go to Settings > About phone to confirm the new software version v220.127.116.11.
Need any help? Shoot it in the comments section below.