Asus has finally released the Android 5.0 Lollipop update on Zenfone 5 — company’s most popular device, a 2014 flagship — and now that it’s available officially, we know you cannot resist to install it right away, rather than wait for your turn under the gradual rollout. Worry not, we’ve got the direct download link of the Zenfone 5 Lollipop update right below along with a guide to help you install it on your Zenfone 5.
The Zenfone 5 Lollipop update comes with few caveats. Nothing major but Lollipop update is not compatible with some of the apps currently pre-installed on your device. below is the list of apps that will be automatically removed when you update your Zenfone 5 to Android 5.1.
Unsupported apps on Asus Zenfone 5 Lollipop Update:
- Battery widget
- PhotoFrame widget
- Google Text-To-Speech
- Movie Studio
- Cloud Print
- Magic Smoke Wallpapers
The above apps will be uninstalled automatically. You can find similar apps in Google play store easily. So, don’t worry about them going.
Here’s a full changelog of Asus Zenfone 5 Android 5.0 Lollipop update.
- SuperNote: change to link-downloading version
- Asuswebstorage: change to link-downloading version
- Remote Link: change to link-downloading version
- Lockscreen: remove standalone wallpaper & weather info (only for 1GB RAM device)
- Quick settings/Recent app layout change (only for 1GB RAM device)
- Dialer/Contacts: reduce tab count from 5 to 3; remove group tab name/photo; remove foreground service (only for 1GB RAM device)
- InCall screen: remove inCall animation & cover (only for 1GB RAM device)
- Fix the problem of losing some files after changing the folder name in File Manager
- Add KKBOX (link-downloading) (Taiwan only)
- Add Dr. eye (link-downloading) (Taiwan only)
- Add Zinio (link-downloading)
- Add PubuBookBuffet (link-downloading) (Taiwan only)
- Add eReadingNow (link-downloading) (Taiwan only)
- Add ASUS Game Center (link-downloading) (Taiwan only)
- Offer hot and highly qualified games picked by a team of gaming experts
- Offer event privileges and goodies of virtual treasures
- Support membership with ASUS, Facebook and Google+ accounts to log in
- Offer VIP services: 24/7 online customer service
- Support purchase history to overview for games downloaded from ASUS Game Center
How to Update Zenfone 5 to Lollipop manually
- ASUS ZenFone 5, model no. T00F/T00J, WW variant, running software v18.104.22.168
- Don’t try on any Zenfone 5 variant or any other Zenfone device from Asus
- Don’t try on any other device whatsoever
Disclamer: Installing an official OTA doesn’t void your device’s warranty, but you need to be cautious when trying to update device yourself. In any case, you only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Backup necessary stuff. In case your device is wiped off, it’s good to have backup of contacts, photos, videos and other files. Hence, create a backup of important stuff in your phone right away.
- Confirm your Asus Zenfone is the right model for update. Go into Settings > About phone, and check the 3 pre-requisites mention below:
- Is your device’s model no. ASUS_T00F/T00J?
- Is the current software version is 22.214.171.124? (Check under software information.)
Tip: If your current software version isn’t exactly 126.96.36.199, then simply check for update already available. In About phone, tap on ‘System update’, and then tap on ‘check update’ button. My Zenfone 5 wasn’t on required v188.8.131.52, but it was already available as 90 MB OTA update when I clicked on ‘check update’.
- Is it a WW model? Should not be CN, TW, etc. (See build no. for this.)
- IF answer to above three questions is Yes, proceed to download.
- Download the Android 5.0 Lollipop update for your Asus Zenfone 5 from here. File: UL-ASUS_T00F-WW-184.108.40.206-user.zip (700.09 MB)
- Don’t extract the .zip file you got.
- Transfer the file to your phone’s internal storage. Don’t put inside any folder or sub-folder of internal storage. Put it where you have folders like DCIM, Android, Movies, Ringtones, etc.
- Disconnect the Zenfone 5 from PC.
- The phone should recognize the update automatically. Phone will show a notification saying ‘System Update File Detected.. Touch to start the system update’. That’s your goods.
- Touch the Notification to get a pop-up.
- Pop-up will show a filename of your Lollipop update. make sure Lollipop update is selected, and then tap on OK.
- Phone will enter recovery mode and will install the Lollipop update by itself. When it’s done, it will restart automatically, and you can go to Settings > About phone to confirm the new software version v220.127.116.11.
Need any help? Shoot it in the comments section below.