How To Unlock Bootloaders on your Xperia Arc, Play, Neo and Pro
UPDATE: Before you proceed, please visit this link to check if your phone’s boot loader can be unlocked or not?
NOTE: If the light above the USB port on your phone doesn’t turn blue when you connect your phone using the USB cable to your PC while holding the “MENU” button (on Xperia Arc. For Xperia Play – “SEARCH” button), then it means that you cannot connect to fastboot, and hence you cannot unlock the boot loader.
Here’s a Step by Step guide (w/ video) on how to unlock bootloaders on your Xperia Arc, Play, Neo & Pro.
[info]Although this guide is made using Xperia arc, I can assure that it would work perfectly with Xperia Play, Neo & Pro too.
NOTE: Xperia Play users should press the “Search” button instead of “Menu” button in Step 8th of this tutorial.[/info]Warning: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
For better understanding, I highly recommend you to watch the above video along with the instructions below:
- Download ‘Unlock Xperia Arc Bootloaders.zip’ file → here (link fixed)
- Extract the file you downloaded above on your PC. You’ll get the following three files:
- Click/DoubleClick on the internet shortcut file you got in Step 2.3 “unlockbootloader.sonyericsson.com”.
- This will open a web page in your default browser. Scroll to the bottom of the Instructions on the page and you’ll see a link like “Continue”, click on it.
- In the pop-up window click “Yes, I’m sure” and then in the next window click on both the checkboxes, and then click “I accept”.
- Now insert the details as per the instructions:
- First 14 digits of your IMEI No. Do NOT enter the last digit (15th) in the box. To know your IMEI No. dial *#06# on your Xperia Arc.
- Your name.
- Your Email address.
- Then click on “Submit”
- You’ll get a KEY to unlock boot loader. Write it down somewhere you can remember, it will be used later.
- Switch off your phone.
- Now extract the “fastboot_with_Android_USB_file.zip” file you got in Step 2.2.
- Pick up your phone (it must be switched off) and hold the “Menu” button (the key at the bottom right of your phone), now while holding the “Menu” button connect your phone to your PC with an USB cable.
- Once connected — the LED light near the phone’s USB plug will turn blue. If it doesn’t — repeat the Step 8.
- Now to install the drivers do the following:
- Extract the “drivers.zip” file you got in Step 2.1
- Open “Device Manager” on your PC and look for “S1Boot Fastboot” under the head “Other devices”
- Right-click on “S1Boot Fastboot” and select “Update Driver Software…”
- Now select “Browse my computer for driver software” and select the folder where you’ve extracted all the three files you got in Step 2. Once done — click Ok.
- Now click Next (Make sure you’ve ticked the “Include subfolders” checkbox).
- If you see any Windows security warning box, don’t worry . Just select “Install this driver software anyway”
- Wait for “Windows has successfully updated your driver software” message to appear on your screen. Now click Close.
- Open the “fastboot” folder from the file we extracted in Step 7.
- Now hold Shift and press mouse right click (Shift + Mouse Right Click) anywhere on the empty white space inside the “fastboot” folder. And then select “Open command window here” from the context menu.
- Now in the command prompt window type/paste the following:
fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version
- It should return a value like “0.3”. This ensures that your device is correctly connected.
- Now type/paste the following line in the command prompt window:
fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY
IMPORTANT! Replace the word “KEY” from the above line with the KEY that you received in Step 5. Then hit Enter.
- Now wait for the process to complete. Command prompt will show a “Finished” message when it will be completed.
- Once it’s done, disconnect the USB cable from your phone and switch it ON.
- Your phone’s boot loader should now be unlocked.
This guide was made using the quick tutorial posted by XDA developer lollylost100. Please consider donating him for his efforts using the button below:
[button link=”https://http://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=_sUoJSkTXkACiGpATVV8shAxPTA5dI8MJvORyZkgCxF16PF7iwEwBKYNxIG&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f8e263663d3faee8d5863a909c4bb5aeebb52c6e1151bdaa9″ icon=”” style=””]Donate lollylost100[/button]
And to thank us for this guide you can leave us a comment :)