I create mousemade pixel perfection stuffs for the interwebs.

How To Root Xperia Arc [Full guide w/ video] [Updated for Android 2.3.4 ROMS]

Superuser App on Rooted Xperia Arc

This is a full step-by-step guide (w/ video) for rooting Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc. You’ll be required to unlock your phone’s boot loader first to get root access, so proceed only if you’re willing to unlock boot loader or if you’ve already unlocked it. [warning]The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable. You only will be responsible — you’ve been warned. Okay![/warning]

Unlocking the Boot loader [IMPORTANT!]:

To be able to root your Xperia Arc. You’ll have to first unlock the boot loader on your phone (If you’ve already unlocked boot loader on your phone then skip this step). Below is the link to our simple step-by-step guide: Simple guide to Unlock Boot Loader On Xperia Arc, Play, Neo and Pro

Instructions for Rooting Xperia Arc:

Video guide:

The video shows rooting of an Android 2.3.2 ROM, but rooting instructions are similar for Android 2.3.4 ROMS as well, so you can safely refer to the video below, but do follow the instructions carefully.

1. Go to Settings page on your phone, scroll down to bottom of the screen and select “About phone”, now check your “Model number” and ”Build number”. And then choose an appropriate file for your version of phone from the link below:NOTE:The file given below is rooted system image for Android 2.3.4 [4.0.1.A.0.283] Global firmware, and it’s highly recommended to have the non-rooted version of the firmware installed on your phone before flashing the root image.So if you’re not already on an Android 2.3.4 [4.0.1.A.0.283] firmware, then follow the link below to upgrade your phone to the latest firmware using ‘Flashtool’: Complete guide on how to flash “.ftf” firmware files using Flashtool

Below is the Android 2.3.4 [4.0.1.A.0.283] rooted system image:

2. Download the following file, named “fastboot_with_Android_USB_file.rar”, from this link.
  3. Switch OFF your phone. Wait until it vibrates to ensure that it has completely switched off.
  4. Now extract the file you downloaded in Step 1.2. You’ll get two folders — “fastboot” and “usb-driver”.
  5. Into the “fastboot” folder you need to cut/copy/paste the file you downloaded in Step 1 (See the video for reference).
  6. Now pick up your phone (it must be Switched OFF) and hold the “Menu” key (the key at the bottom right side of your phone), now while holding the Menu key, connect your phone to your PC with an USB cable.
  7. Once connected — the LED light near the phone’s USB plug will turn blue. If it doesn’t — repeat the Step 6.
  8. Open the “fastboot” folder that we extracted in Step 4.
  9. Now hold Shift and press mouse right click (Shift + Mouse Right Click) anywhere on the empty white space inside the “fastboot” folder. And then select “Open command window here” from the context menu (See video for reference).
  10. Type/Paste the following line in the command prompt window:

fastboot flash system LT15i_4.0.1.A.0.283_Generic_Global_system.img

And hit Enter.

1. Now wait for the process to complete. Command prompt will show a “Finished” message when it will be completed.
  2. Once it’s done, disconnect the USB cable from your phone and Switch ON your phone.
  3. Inside the app drawer check for “Superuser” app. You’re all good if it’s there, but if it’s not in the app drawer, then search for it in the Android Market as “Superuser” and install it.

Now to ensure that your phone have root access, try some apps that require root access. I tried “Titanium Backup” and it worked well.

Many thanks to XDA member ‘rahul.pillai’ for providing the rooted system image.

Published:

battery is amazing on 2.3.4, better than when it was 2.3.3

just wanted to share with everyone :) yesterday i monitored my phone it
    still had 70% battery left after 15 hours + 45 mins after charge. today
    it was down to 67% because i played with it more. OH and when i left it
    in my back at work it only ate like 2% …. so happy i upgraded :)

• http://www.theandroidsoul.com Shivam

Great, thanks for sharing :)

• zegapain87

anyone can help. cause i din read all the introduction. and rooting my Xperia Arc
    LT15i_4.0.1.A.0.283_Generic_Global_system.img  tis img file.

cause my version is 2.3.3. but tis work on version 2.3.4. now my arc stuck on the screen preview show up “SONY ERICSON”. What should i do now??

Sry of my bad english.

• http://www.theandroidsoul.com Shivam

Don’t worry. Just flash the Android 2.3.4 firmware using flashtool.. link is given in Step 1 :)

• Xperia me

please help me,… when i flash using flashtool, everything was ok,
        until i have to plug my xperia to PC (back button is holded) the
        flashbox always keep searching xperia and tell me to install or
        reinstall the driver… what should i do?

• Xperia me

here i send the screen capture of the error,
          please help my xperiaa…. :( thank you in advance

• http://www.theandroidsoul.com Shivam

Run the “ggsetup-2.2.0.10.exe” file from the ‘drivers’ folder that you get after extracting the “Flashtool exe” file.

This should install proper drivers for you :)

So try again after installing the drivers.

• Xperia me

thank you very much! it worked,..
            but i didn’t get the super user apps..
            is it rooted already? because before i was using the flash tool i had flash it with fastboot

• http://www.theandroidsoul.com Shivam

Follow the guide above to get root access and superuser app on “Android 2.3.4 [4.0.1.A.0.283]” firmware.

• Kareem murci

what about xperia neo ?

• http://www.facebook.com/people/Giovanno-Elcock/759934721 Giovanno Elcock

After hitting enter after entering everything in the cmd prompt it stalls on waiting for device for me. Any idea why?

• http://www.theandroidsoul.com Shivam

Have you unlocked boot loader??

• http://www.facebook.com/people/Giovanno-Elcock/759934721 Giovanno Elcock

OMG… I read over that… thanks for the fast reply!

Lol. Good luck :)

• http://www.facebook.com/people/Giovanno-Elcock/759934721 Giovanno Elcock

Ah I almost went nuts, needed to add a * while dialing.

• Pani

Sorry about the delay, just got the chance to do it today.
    Again another success, thank you :)

You’re welcome buddy :)

• Pani

Hi again :) today my phone showed new notificatio saying new system update is available 4.0.1.A.0.283
    I rooted the phone with your help a couple weeks back.

Was wondering what I should do :)

Pani

I’ve updated the guides for the latest firmware, and here’s what you should do:

1. Update your phone to the latest firmware, 4.0.1.A.0.283, using flashtool. You can get the download links from here – http://www.theandroidsoul.com/tutorial-how-to-flash-a-firmware-using-flashtool-on-xperia-arc/
      2. Root the phone as you did before. I’ve just updated this post :)

BTW, you can also update your phone using SEUS, but for that you’ll have to re-lock the phone’s bootloader. And then unlock again to root, so it’d be convenient for you to update using flashtool :)

I’ve updated the guides for the latest firmware, and here’s what you should do:

1. Update your phone to the latest firmware, 4.0.1.A.0.283, using flashtool. You can get the download links from here - http://www.theandroidsoul.com/tutorial-how-to-flash-a-firmware-using-flashtool-on-xperia-arc/

2. Root the phone as you did before. I’ve just updated this post :)

BTW, you can also update your phone using SEUS, but for that you’ll have to re-lock the phone’s bootloader. And then unlock again to  root, so it’d be convenient for you to update using flashtool :)

• Pani

The first method sounds like a better option than updating thru SEUS removing unlocking n root.

I’m notsure if I read somewhere that it’s highly recommended to have a non rooted version firmware installed on the phone before flashing the root image, So it’s okay to root again? :)

• http://www.theandroidsoul.com Shivam

Yes that’s exactly what we’ll be doing. We’re gonna flash the non-rooted firmware first using flashtool and then flash the rooted system image.

• Anonymouse

i have the same problem with clowtidus cross. my version is 2.3.3. please help

• Clowtidus Cross

hi there, i followed your step until finish, but when i turn it on, my Arc is stuck on sony logo.. how do i fix this??
    thanks..

• http://www.theandroidsoul.com Shivam

which firmware version you had before you flashed the rooted image given in this post?

• banbaniphone

HELLO FRIENDS DOES NOT ME IN MY XPERIA ARC ROOT, AND THE LATEST VERSION UPDATES, AND ANYTHING CAN I DO THE ROOT? PLEASE

Ive unlocked bootloader, currently on 2.3.3
    build number 3.0.1.A.0.145

I tried rooting it through gingerbreak version 1.2 several times. Almost giving up. I even almost relocked my arc, tried flashing it few times also, would not recognise the device kept coming up error. So now mine is unlocked from bootloader, not rooted. What are the consequences if i leave it like this ?

Should i give this one a go? Thank you

• http://www.theandroidsoul.com Shivam

First flash the 4.0.A.2.368 firmware using flashtool, and then flash the rooted system image given in this guide.

Please follow the guide to every word of it.

• Pani

I was trying to flash the 4.0.A.2.368 using flashtool, it did not want to recognise that i’ve connect it to the computer

22/024/2011 02:24:34 – ERROR

22/024/2011 02:24:44 – INFO
        - Searching Xperia….

22/024/2011 02:24:44 – ERROR
        - Please install or reinstall device drivers from drivers folder

please help :(

• Pani

The second time i tried to flash, this came up..

22/030/2011 02:30:12 – INFO
          - Searching Xperia….

22/030/2011 02:30:13 – ERROR
          - USBVID_0FCE&PID_ADDE6&36B63792&0&1

22/030/2011 02:30:14 – INFO
          - Searching Xperia….

22/030/2011 02:30:14 – ERROR
          - USBVID_0FCE&PID_ADDE6&36B63792&0&1

• http://www.theandroidsoul.com Shivam

Wait. Install the ‘Sony Ericsson PC Companion’ software on your PC. It’ll install all the necessary drivers.

Hope it helps

Sony Erisson PC Companion 2.0 was installed on my pc.. :(

• Pani

Even though i have it installed, should I update the phone software? I read somewhere that if the phone’s bootloader is unlocked, to not update the phone?

I’m not sure

Okay do this.

After extracting the ‘flashtool.exe’ file you’ll see a folder named ‘drivers’, and inside the ‘drivers’ folder there will be a setup file.. try installing it. It may solve your drivers problem :)

And no there’s no harm in updating your phone through flashtool.

• Pani

I will try that first thing in the morning. Thank u so much for replying so fast. I’ll let you know how I go asap.

Okay.

Good night :)

• Pani

completed the flash process :)

but having trouble extracting the “fastboot_with_Android_USB_file.rar”

success!

Thank you so much for your help, your my lifesaver :)

Great video, great tutorial :)

Thank you again.

• Angi

I followed the instruction, everythin goes well but I have’nt a App “superuser”. 2.3.3 [4.0.A.2.368] THANKS!
    Angi

• pUffe

it is the same for me, and i know for sure that the bootloader is unlocked

• http://www.theandroidsoul.com Shivam

Guys install the superuser app from the market. It’ll work.

I’ll update the guide with tip soon.

• Angi

Thanks, it works great. I have relocked my phone – I hope I have still superuser rights?

• Dekeljunkie

i already make it thanks.
    but have other problem now :)
    after my device turn on, i get error android.process.acore crash or something like that, and i cant use my phone i press force close  and its back again and again
    any one?

• Dekeljunkie

i already make it thanks.
    but have other problem now :)
    any one?

• http://www.theandroidsoul.com Shivam

Go to settings — select Privacy — select Factory data reset — reset phone.

This should solve your problem.

NOTE: It’ll wipe all the data on your phone, so make a backup of your contacts, messages, bookmarks etc.. before you factory reset your phone.
      Hope it helps :)

• http://www.theandroidsoul.com Shivam

Go to settings — select Privacy — select Factory data reset — reset phone.

This should solve your problem.

Hope it helps :)

• http://www.theandroidsoul.com Shivam

Exactly. You’ve to have unlocked boot loader to flash a custom image.

Glad you sorted it out :)

• http://www.theandroidsoul.com Shivam

@d9d4fd4952b986acffb4fd764f9710cd:disqus @2c11c0b90eac47a1fe0cd6d8690de2f7:disqus well it seems you guys didn’t unlocked boot loader of your Arc, and I’ve very clearly mentioned it in the beginning of this tutorial ─ that you need to unlock boot loader to be able to flash a custom system image.

So unlock the boot loader using the link I’ve provided in the beginning of this tuorial, and then try again, you won’t encounter any error :)

• Dekeljunkie

i got error on the command stage:
    “The device must be rooted first” what the f*&k i think this tut is for root my device no???
    i have arc 2.3.3
    thanks if anyone have some idea about that.

• Dj_rc

I do every thing like the video but wen its sopuse to flash says waiting for device any help???

• Dj_rc

Solved drivers problem but now it cnt flash says “FAILED remote: Device must be rooted first”

• Dekeljunkie

you need first to update the drivers,
      go to device manager and you will see there device that called root or somwthing like that, so you need to update it…
      you have the drivers in your rar file that you dowbload already.
      i hade the same issue but i stuck on other stage, i get error that telling me my device must be rooted :S
      hop for helping.

• Lie

nice job!!!!

• Krishnadev Ks

my Xperia arc is 2.3.3   4.0.A.2.368…. can anyone help me to root it…

• Prasath S

I have unlocked the boot loader, and followed the instruction as mentioned, on 2.3.3 using global image. but I stuck at load screen. is there any other image i can try? Awiting for your reply…

• jadeyassine

my phone is stuck on the load screen!!! help please!

• Zaxariasch

my phone wont turn on stays on load screen!!! help pls

• Gavinlin8

my phone wont turn on stays on load screen !!!!!!!

• Danny_ching

me2….

• Zaxariasch

guys i fix that problem follow the instructions :)

• jadeyassine

i had the same problem, my arc is staying on the loading screen what should i do?

• Amitdoomra

kindly help me out having the same problem with the loading screen

• Amitdoomra

kindly help me out having the same problem with the loading screen

• Miteshjgala

100% works for 2.3.3  thank you soooooo much  for this wonder full post  and taking your time to help  us :) owe u :) hats offf standing ovation :)

• http://www.theandroidsoul.com Shivam

Thanks for appreciating our work :)

• Dekeljunkie

how exactly this is work for you ???
      i have arc 2.3.3 and its just stuck on the stage in the command, i get error that telling me my device must be rooted…
      if you can help ….
      thanks

• Ioannis

Hi guys….i have rooted my phone….but..i want to unrooted….how i can do that? thanks :)

• Ruby

Which file should I use in Belgium?

• BiJaz

Works great, thanks !

• Christianjoypanis

thanks…i fixed it. after flashing i had a SUPERUSER… thank you so much
    “TheAndroidSoul”… and thank you Kapil for the advice.

• Christianjoypanis

my xperia play stucks in sony ericsson screen. what will i do. please…

• http://www.theandroidsoul.com/ Kapil

hey, it wasn’t meant for Play. You’ll need to flash Play’s firmware again.

• Christianjoypanis

help me please my xperia play wont open after flashing…what will i do…

• Christian Joy Panis

ive follow the instruction, the process is successful, but my xperia play wont open now. what can i do?

• Luis Barriga

I can’t turn on BT after rooting. It’s not a hw failure since I reflashed the original fw and BT works fine. I noticed that I get a “bad block” message during rooting though.

• Deninjazul Twister

Saberia dizer se a versão “LT15a GLOBAL”(LT15a Xperia arc_2.3.3, 3.0.1.A.0.145_Rogers Canada.ftf / arc_lt15a_modded.img) teria o idioma PT-BR?
    Estou querendo habilitar o root no meu mas quero uma rom com suporte nacional.

Agradeço a vossa atenção desde já.

Google Tradutor = Google Translator

Tell if the version “LT15a Global”(LT15a Xperia arc_2.3.3, 3.0.1.A.0.145_Rogers Canada.ftf / arc_lt15a_modded.img) would have the language PT-BR?
    I am wanting to enable root in may ARC, but I want a rom with national support.

Thank you for attention now.

Deninjazul Twister

• http://www.theandroidsoul.com/ Kapil

Yes. It should work.

• Deninjazul Twister

Irei criar coragem neste fim de semana e farei a troca da room, apesar de querer manter a versão oficial.

Darei um retorno se der certo.

Só por curiosidade: theandroidsoul depois que tu trocou a imagem do ARC por está com o root habilitado por acaso tem aquela lista de linguagens enorme no menu Idiomas a ser escolhida?

Grato novamente.
        by Deninjazul Twister o/

Google Tradutor = Google Translator(eu não manjo do vosso idioma, desculpe/i do not manji of your language, sorry)

I will pluck up the courage this weekend and will return to the room, despite wanting to heep the official version.

I will always return if successful.

Just curious: theandroidsoul after you changed the image of the ARC is enabled with the root happens to have that huge list of languages in the Languages menu to be chosen?

Thanks again.
        by Deninjazul Twister o/

• http://www.theandroidsoul.com/ Kapil

Yes, you can choose language from the menu when phone restarts.

• Deninjazul Twister

Então eu fiz o processo só que a minha versão é LT15a e não dá certo, no CMD fica procurando o aparelho e não sai disso, agora pelo processo do firmware consegui, mas não tem root, sacanagem. >(Agradeço a vossa atenção, por enquanto fico na mão.

Google Tradutor = Google Translator

So I did the only process that my version is LT15a and can not succeed in the CMD is looking for the phone and not get out of it, now managed by the process of the firmware, but has no root, slutty. > (Thank you for your attention, as I lay in my hand.

• Efray17

i tried it,,
    it said “FAILED :

what i have to do?

• http://www.theandroidsoul.com Shivam

Did you unlocked boot loader?
      If not, then there is a link to it in the begining of the post above.

• Efray17

which link bro?

• Abou_jouj90

I have an xperia play 3.0.1.A.0.146 can i root it using 3.0.1.A.0.145 root image and if not how can i root it since i need to change my phone region to enable the playstation pocket since right now they say to me not in your region

• frendy

after i do the step 9, it says on the command prompt ” waiting for device ” , i waited for a long time and it didnt work..
    did something go wrong ?? please answer :(

• http://www.theandroidsoul.com Shivam

Make sure that boot loader is unlocked on your phone, and also check if “S1 Fastboot” driver is installed on your PC or not.

• frendy

after i do the step 9, it says on the command prompt ” ” , i waited for a long time and it didnt work.. did something go wrong ?? please answer :(

• Jyrki69

how can i know if my phone have unlocked bootloader or not?
    thanks for fast reply

• Jyrki69

how can i know if my phone have unlocked bootloader or not?
    thanks for fast reply

• Jyrki69

i followed everything but can’t do the “Shift + Mouse Right Click” it’s not giving me the “Open command window here” option,what i’m doing wrong??? my xperia arc is unlocked,i mean it’s sim free,that’s mean the bootloader is unlocked,is it???

Make sure you’re doing the “Shift + Mouse Right Click” on a clear white
      space in the window. Watch the embedded video, it may help.

And no having an unlocked (sim free) phone doesn’t mean you’ve boot loaders
      unlocked, you’ve to do that separately.

• Serdar Satici

hi I have a xperia arc with baseband 7X30A-AAABQMAZM-1290_21-22 and 3.0.1.A.0.145 build number also my kernel version is2.6.32.9-perf. I’m using my phone registered on Turkcell (in Turkey). which image file should I use for rooting process?

• http://www.theandroidsoul.com Shivam

Hi your phone has Global firmware so choose the Global version :)

• Serdar Satici

thanks ok than here comes the last question… Generic Global LT15i.145 this image file is gonna usefull for me right? : D and after flashing my phone, I can still use my phone on my service provider in Turkey. by the way you are really fast at answering questions thanks! : )

Yes I guess so.

• Serdar Satici

thanks mate…

• Serdar Satici

well it worked well for me! thanks again : )

That’s great. Enjoy :D

And you’re welcome :)

• http://www.theandroidsoul.com Shivam

If your phone is not locked to your carrier, then you can unlock the boot
          loader, and if you can unlock the boot loader, you can flash any firmware
          onto your phone — that’s the truth, so your phone will probably work with
          your carrier after rooting.

• NikLarenF1

I’m sory, but if I’ll make a mistake, what will happened?

• http://www.theandroidsoul.com Shivam

Well a mistake may brick your phone.

BUT you can always be careful, right? :)

• Hallow_land

what about arc s with model Lt18i build no. 4.0.2.A.0.62 ?? where can i find it???

• Martijnjesse_96

doesn’t work
    I only see
    what does this mean?
    i’ve wait more then 30 minutes

• Will

Still waiting for 2.3.3 LT15a. Global image.

BTW, why SE doesn’t let us be root?

• Malik alanazi

Unplug the USB cable and power off the phone

• Will

The model of mine is LT15a, upgraded to Android 2.3.3…..

• celtt

i have the same like previous user…hold button+plug USB….and nothing! just see ‘sony experia’ on screen and led is depending of battery level…never blue :(
    Whats happen??

• Mike_mfcl

when i connect the usb cable whilst holding down menu. the led goes green and onto charge

• Xperia

i dowloaded (arc_lt15i_modded) from the link mentioned, it is comming a ZIP file, and is giving error while extracting it,,,,,,,,,, pls advise

• caner

sending ‘system’ (239165 KB)…

FAILED (remote: The Device must be rooted first)

does it means my arc already rooted before ? i bought it from non
    offical store.

thanks

• Serpiconuovo2009

hard reset sony arc xche’ bloccato

Some HTML is OK