Update: Normal version of SuperSU root tool is not working for the HTC One M9 due to changes in how system partitions are mounted and all, for which you can read more here. Anyway, there’s a fix available, and right now, the beta version of SuperSU, BETA-SuperSU-v2.48.zip, is working absolutely fine, as it takes care of mounting the system partition properly even when TWRP recovery keeps it as read-only, which is required to be able to make a backup of stock system partition, a must do thing before beginning to flash custom ROMs and all such things.
HTC One M9 is set to hit the stores worldwide in a couple of weeks, and if you’re planning on getting one but wondering if you’d be able to restore your Titanium Backup from your current phone to the One M9, we’ve some good news to share.
You can root your HTC One M9 right after unboxing. The device supports an easy bootloader unlock directly from HTC, and TWRP recovery is also out already, and the missing piece of puzzle for achieving root is fulfilled by the latest SuperSU zip file from Chainfire, which is able to easily root the One M9 with a single zip flash from TWRP recovery.
Grab the latest SuperSU zip file from the download link below and flash it from twrp recovery. If you need help, we’ve also posted detailed guide (noob-friendly) for rooting the One M9 along with links to guides for unlocking the bootloader and installing TWRP recovery.
- SuperSU beta version: Download Link | Filename: BETA-SuperSU-v2.48.zip
Find the latest beta version here.
The normal version of SuperSU, till v2.46, is clearly not working on HTC One M9. So, don’t use the below. Although, it’s possible that future versions of SuperSU fix the problem and start working alright.
WARNING: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Important Note: Backup important files (music, photos, documents, videos, etc.) stored on your HTC One M9 before proceeding with the steps below. Root will be achieved by flashing a file from TWRP recovery, which requires an unlocked bootloader on your HTC One M9, and unlocking bootloader completely wipes the storage on a device. So make sure you backup any/all of your important files on a PC.
- Make sure your device is HTC One M9, do not try this on any other phone.
- Unlock the bootloader on your HTC One M9.
- Install TWRP recovery on your One M9.
- Transfer the BETA-SuperSU-v2.48.zip file that we downloaded above to your device’s internal storage and remember the location where you save it.
- Boot into Recovery mode:
- Power off your device and wait for 5-10 seconds until the device is fully switched off.
- Press and hold Volume Down button, then press the Power button to switch on your phone and release it, but keep holding the Volume Down button.
└ This will boot your HTC One M9 into bootloader mode
- You’ll see a screen with option to boot into Recovery Mode among several other options. Here, press Volume down thrice to navigate to “BOOT TO RECOVERY MODE”, then press Power button to select it and boot into Recovery mode.
└ In Bootloader and Recovery mode, use Volume buttons to navigate Up and Down between options and use Power button to select an option.
- (Optional) Once in recovery mode, take a backup of your current ROM. On TWRP, select Backup » and do a “Swipe to Back Up” on the bottom of the screen.
- Go back to the main menu of TWRP recovery and select Install.
- Navigate to the folder where you saved the BETA-SuperSU-v2.48.zip file, select the file and then “Swipe to Confirm Flash” on the bottom of the screen. Now wait until the flashing process finishes.
- After flashing finishes. Go to back to recovery’s Main menu, select Reboot » select System.
- Your phone should be rooted now, look for SuperSU app in the app drawer. You can also verify root access with this app.