The ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T has quite a lot of custom ROMs available for it in the custom Android development community. However, a common problem many face with these custom ROMs is that after flashing them, the tablet loses all the 3G features. In order to use those, one must flash back to an official stock firmware by ASUS.
The guide below will walk you through the steps required to flash back to a stock firmware. You can use the guide for either going back to a stock firmware to get 3G features working or for just returning to stock from a custom ROM.
Continue reading to find how you can restore your ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T to stock firmware.
This guide is applicable only for Asus Transformer TF300T. DO NOT try this on any other device.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Restore ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T to Stock Firmware
- [Important] Backup everything on your tablet to your computer as this process will wipe everything on your tablet. Use this Android backup guide to find out how you can back up apps and data such as contacts and messages.
- Download the stock firmware from ASUS’s official website. On the website, select Android in the OS drop down menu, then select Firmware, and download the latest firmware for your SKU.
[Important!] Download the firmware that matches the SKU of your device. To check your device’s SKU, do this:
- On the tablet, go into Settings » About tablet. Then, check the Build number.
- If the build number starts with “TW”, your SKU is TW. Similarly, if your build number starts with “US”, you must download the firmware for the US SKU.
- Extract the downloaded firmware file. You will get another archive file. Extract this one as well to get several files. One of these files will be named “blob”, which is the one we need to use.
- Install the Android SDK by following the guide → here.
- Download fastboot.
Download Fastboot | Filename: Fastboot.zip
- Extract the Fastboot.zip file to the C:\ drive on your computer to get a folder named Fastboot with four files inside it.
- Copy the blob file obtained in step 3 (after extracting firmware file) to the Fastboot folder on C drive. You should have 5 files in the Fastboot folder now.
- Shut down the tablet. Hold Power + Vol Down buttons until a message appears saying “Press Vol. Up to enter RCK (5s)”. However, DO NOT press the Volume Up button. Instead, wait for 5 seconds till a new menu appears. Then, in less than 10 seconds, press Volume Down once to highlight the USB icon, then press the Volume Up button to validate. Remember, you must do this in 10 seconds otherwise the tablet will boot into Android and you’ll have to redo the step.
- Open Command Prompt on your computer from Start » All Programs » Accessories (or open Start menu, type cmd and press the Enter button).
- Now, type the following commands in command prompt to flash the stock ROM, pressing Enter after each command.
- cd c:\Fastboot
- fastboot devices (this is to ensure the phone gets detected. A string of numbers and letters should appear if the phone is properly detected)
- fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash system blob
- NOTE: The flashing procedure may fail a few times. If it does fail, simply redo step 10.3 i.e type in the same command again, till it works and flashes the firmware.
- After the stock firmware is flashed, you’ll get a finished/OKAY message in command prompt.
- Now, type fastboot -i 0x0B05 reboot in the command prompt to reboot the tablet into the newly flashed stock firmware.
Your ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T is now running a stock firmware and has been fully restored to stock, with working 3G (in case it wasn’t working before due to a custom ROM). Let us know how it works!