The HTC Sensation gets yet another leak of Ice Cream Sandwich firmware, version number, 3.32.401.5. It’s not much different from the previous leak, 3.32.401.3, but is an update nevertheless. So those interested to get a nice preview of how ICS — with Sense 3.6, that is — will look like on their Sensation’s awesome qHD display, can give it a try.
This Ice Cream Sandwich Firmware is available as a CWM flashable rom, which makes it an easy installation process. It has been reeleased by XDA developer mike1986. It’s a pure stock ROM from HTC, and is not rooted.But before you flash this ROM, you gotta update to the latest official stock firmware. Use this guide to update your Sensation to the appropriate base firmware, and after doing that, read on to find out how you can flash the new leaked firmware on your Sensation.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the HTC Sensation. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
- Rooted HTC Sensation with Clockworkmod Recovery installed.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install 3.32.401.5 Update on HTC Sensation
- Important! You need have the latest bootloader — meant for the ICS — in order to get your Sensation to work/boot. You should visit this page to get the boot file (or called firmware file: PG58IMG.zip). You got to check your CID and MID using the tools given there and then download the PG58IMG.zip file from the many versions listed there, choosing one which matches your phone’s CID and MID. It’s a little bit tricky, but it’s just a matter of carefully reading all the info there, and then following the instructions exactly as stated. After you’ve downloaded the PG58IMG.zip for your phone, proceed to step 2 below; you will be using the PG58IMG.zip file in step 11 below.
- Download the Ice Cream Sandwich Rom file from the original development page → Download Link
- Transfer the downloaded zip files from step 1 and step 2 to the SD card on the HTC Sensation.
- Turn off the phone.
- Start Clockworkmod recovery by simultaneously pressing and holding the Volume down button and the Power button. From the resulting HBOOT menu, press Volume down to select the Recovery option and press the Power button to activate it. Inrecovery, use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, Select Backup again.
- Select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on the next screen to confirm data wipe.
- Now select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the update file on the sdcard (from step 2) and select it.
- Now confirm installation by selecting “Yes – Install ______.zip” on the next screen. The update will start installing.
- Important!. Do not reboot/restart the phone. instead, Power it Off. After the installation is complete, select “go back” and then Power Off the phone.
- Flashing the PG58IMG.zip bootloader/firmware file (from step 1):
- Now is the time to flash the bootloader/firmware file from fastboot mode. Boot (start the phone) into bootloader mode to install the PG58IMG.zip bootloader/firmware file you downloaded in step 1. For this, press and hold Volume down and hit Power key, hold the Volume Down key until bootloader screen shows up.
- Now select fastboot to enter fastboot mode where the phone will automatically check for the PG58IMG.zip file on sdcard and on finding one, will ask you to whether Update the phone with it.
- Select Yes when it asks to update the phone. And watch it as it readies your phone for the treat called Ice Cream Sandwich.
- After the PG58IMG.zip has been flashed, rebooting the phone should be fine. Btw, some users have reported that only after they flashed the PG58IMG.zip 2 times, their phone booted successfully. So, don’t be shy of flashing the PG58IMG.zip file again if required.
- After it’s done, simply select the Reboot option from the bootloader mode itself to restart the device.
- (It’s very important that you downloaded the right PG58IMG.zip file in step 1 above from that page linked there.
- Well, it should work perfectly okay now but in case it doesn’t, do let us know.
Your HTC Sensation is now running stock Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 with HTC’s Sense 3.6 overlay. If you do try it out, share your thoughts on your experience in the comments below.