How to Install XXJVK Android 2.3.3 ROM on Samsung Galaxy S [Instructions]
UPDATE 1: If you’re experiencing graphics related problem, then that’s probably because you’re upgrading from an Android 2.2 Froyo build. So to solve your graphical issues you’ll have to flash XXJVK with bootloaders, you can download it from here. Installation process is similar, just use the file with bootloaders. UPDATE 2: For everyone who is having graphical issues, download & flash the ROM with bootloaders from here — named “GT_I9000_XXJVK_XXJVK_OXAJVK_Sbl.exe”, Size: 146.72 MB. Installation process is similar.
UPDATE 3: The post has been edited to replace the JVK Download links with the its with_bootloaders version. It’s been said that the with_bootloaders version is a bit risky, but if you want to install the custom ROMs and do other stuff, you’re gonna need it anyway. Also, users who tried the without_bootloaders version of XXJVK are facing lot of problems (like graphical issues as told in the comments below) and it’s said that the with_bootloaders version takes care of that too.
For more clarity of versions, here are the file names of two version with respective size:
- JVK_with_bootloaders —
GT_I9000_XXJVK_XXJVK_OXAJVK_Sbl.exe (size 146.72 MB)
JVK_without_bootloaders — GT_I9000_XXJVK_XXJVK_OXAJVK.exe (size 146 MB)
So, we would suggest you to download the with_bootloaders version — size: 146.72 MB — so that you don’t face graphical and other issues and also are able to apply custom ROMs made on JVK — we’ll covering these ROMs too, soon.
In case you want to download the without_bootloaders version of XXJVK, here’s the download link. Install Instructions same as for with_bootloaders version given below.
The instructions below (together with links have been updated, to install with_bootloaders version.
[info]This guide is applicable only for Samsung’s Galaxy S international version (i9000). If yours is Vibrant/Captivate/Fascinate/Epic 4G or any other Galaxy S variant, then this ROM — and Guide — is not for you, and that’s for definite.[/info]
[warning] The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt if you don’t totally know what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held responsible. You only will be responsible — you’ve been warned. Okay![/warning]
Follow these step-by-step directions to install XXJVK Android 2.3.3 ROM on your Galaxy S:
- Download XXJVK with_bootloaders. File name — GT_I9000_XXJVK_XXJVK_OXAJVK_Sbl.exe. Download Link. [Whether you’re coming from Froyo or have already tried XXJV1 we would suggest with_bootloades version.]
- Extract the self-extracting ‘GT_I9000_XXJVK_XXJVK_OXAJVK_Sbl.exe’ file by double clicking on it. You’ll get 3 files:
- PDA_XXJVK.tar.md5 and
- Download the file: Odin-1.7with.pit.512.803.zip from here. Extract it to get these files:
- Odin3 v1.7,
- s1_odin_20100512.pit and (No use in this guide)
- s1_odin_20100803.pit. (No use in this guide)
- Switch Off your Galaxy S. Make sure it’s disconnected from PC and connect it only when told.
- Now, put it in Download Mode. For that, press and hold these keys together – Volume Down + Power Button + Home Button.
- Now, head over to Odin (from step 3.1, double-click to run the program on computer) and place the files as per the instructions given in steps 8, 9 and 10. Also, for reference, check the image at the top.
- Leave the PIT box empty.
- In the PDA box, select this file (from step 2.2) — PDA_XXJVK.tar.md5
- In the Phone box, select this file (from step 2.3) — PHONE_XXJVK.tar.md5
- In the CSC box, select this file (from step 2.1) — CSC_OXAJVK.tar.md5
- Make sure to uncheck ‘Re-Partition’.
- Keep ‘Auto Reboot’ & ‘F. Reset Time’ boxes checked.
- Now connect your phone (which is in Download Mode since step 5) to computer.
- Upon connecting, Odin will show “Added” under the message box.
- Now, hit the START button to let the process begin.
- When process at Odin finishes your phone will automatically reboot. You can unplug the cable now. That is, disconnect your phone from PC now, when reboot starts.
- When your phone has restarted, you are on the XXJVK Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread ROM of Galaxy S. Congrats!
- Check your phone’s version by here: Press Options -> Settings -> Scroll down and select About Phone -> Scroll down and check your version.
[valid] Want to get root access on XXJVK?
Well I’ve posted a rooting guide too, follow the link below:
[info]If you experience a problem in getting the ROM flashed with the steps given above, try flashing the ROM again, but with 512 PIT file this time, and keep the ‘Re-Partition’ box checked. All other things same as in steps given above.[/info]
To read the differences in “bootloader” version and “without bootloader” version, go here. Or below is the quoted summary from the link:
- XXJVK firmware with-out bootloaders + Froyo/Eclair bootloaders on device = Graphics/Screen corruption + Can’t enter Recovery Mode
- XXJVK firmware with-out bootloaders + XWJV1(GB Beta) bootloaders on device = OK!
- XWJV1(GB Beta) firmware with-out bootloaders + XXJVK bootloaders on device = OK!
- Froyo firmware with-out bootloaders + XXJVK or XWJV1(GB Beta) bootloaders on device = OK!
Let us know in comments below how XXJVK Android 2.3.3 ROM works on your Galaxy S (i9000).