MIUI 4, based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 has shown up on the T-Mobile Galaxy S2 SGH-T989, thanks to an unofficial port by XDA developer alphadog32. The ROM brings you MIUI along with the WeUI feature, which lets you customize a few things before you install the ROM in recovery. Of course, other MIUI features such as a unique notification bar, themes support are also included.
The ROM is under development and is a ‘bugified beast’ as the developer calls it, so expect to see quite a few bugs and issues present. The ROM has a few major issues at this point, the biggest one being that it doesn’t get a network signal, so you will be unable to make calls or use your data connection for now.
Read on to find out how you can install MIUI 4 on your T-Mobile Galaxy S2 T989.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the T-Mobile Galaxy S2, model number SGH-T989. It’s not compatible with any other device, including other US variants of S2, the Epic 4G Touch, and AT&T Galaxy S2 along with Skyrocket. Check your device’s model number in Settings» About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
Developer → alphadog32
- No Signal
- Weird Graphic Issues at Times
- No Boot Animation Support YET!
- Important! A T-Mobile Galaxy S2 T989 with ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed. You can install CWM recovery by following the guide → here.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
How to Install MIUI 4 on T-Mobile Galaxy S2
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the original development page.
- Transfer the zip file downloaded in step 1 to the internal SD card on your phone.
- Turn off the phone, then boot into recovery mode. For this, press and hold these 3 buttons together until the screen turns on: Volume UP + Volume Down + Power. Phone will boot into CWM recovery. Use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power/home key to select an option.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Restore your backup using the restore option when needed. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Perform a wipe:
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select advanced, and then select wipe dalvik cache » Yes – wipe dalvik. Then go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install ______.zip on the next screen.
- The WeUI installation menu will show up after a few seconds. Simply follow the on-screen instructions to install the ROM, then reboot the phone.
MIUI 4 is now up and running on your T-Mobile Galaxy S2.Visit the original development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.