TWRP recovery for LG G4 is now available for download and flashing, and it’s really easy once you have unlocked bootloader of G4 the official way. By installing TWRP recovery on LG G4, you can create nandroid backup of your G4, plus flash custom ROMs and mods that may become available soon. The development should kick away now for the G4, a custom recovery like TWRP was all that was needed. Btw, it’s TWRP v126.96.36.199 that’s become available for the G4.
And it’s now all about custom ROMs and nandroid backup when we talk about LG G4 TWRP recovery. You can even root your G4 using the TWRP recovery. Further, if you are looking to mod anything and want to mount system from recovery, you can do so using the Mount feature (example). Then, TWRP also supports adb sideload feature, meaning you can flash an update from recovery itself.
Anyway, if you are okay with unlocking bootloader of your LG G4, which means voiding the warranty and not getting it back ever, then TWRP is a must-have for you.
Let’s see how to download and install the TWRP recovery on the LG G4.
LG G4 TWRP Recovery
- TWRP recovery | File: twrp-188.8.131.52-h815.img (31.1 MB)
- SuperSU | File: UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.76-20160630161323.zip
- LG G4, model no. H815
- Don’t try on any other variant of G4 with different model no.
- Don’t try on any other Android device.
Tip: Check the model no. in Settings > About phone. Or, you could also find the model no. on the packaging box of the device.
Warning: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Backup necessary stuff. In case your device is wiped off while following the guide below, it’s good to have a backup of contacts, photos, videos and other files already saved on PC.
- Unlock bootloader of LG G4. That’s a must, as without this, device remains locked by LG and you the user cannot install TWRP recovery. You will also get to install ADB and LG drivers in that guide, so we will skip the drivers part here.
- Download LG G4 TWRP recovery from above.
- Open the folder on your PC where you have the TWRP recovery’s file, twrp-184.108.40.206-h815.img
- Rename the recovery’s filename from twrp-220.127.116.11-h815 to g4-twrp (keep the .img exension of course).
- Connect your LG G4 to PC.
- Copy the g4-twrp.img file to phone. You need to have this file both on PC and G4. Remember the location of the file on phone.
- Open the command window at the location where you have the TWRP recovery. For this:
- Reboot LG G4 into fastboot mode. Copy the command below and paste it in command window. Then hit enter key.
adb reboot bootloader
- Boot TWRP recovery on LG G4. For this again, copy paste the command below to cmd window and then hit enter key. Yay! You’ll boot into TWRP recovery. This is not permanent installation, but we will get that in next step.
fastboot boot g4-twrp.img
- In TWRP recovery on G4, tap on Install.
- The tap on Images… button at bottom right. Now select the g4-twrp.img file you transferred to phone in step 6 above.
- Be careful now, on next screen, select Recovery option under ‘Select Partition to Flash Image’. Don’t the select Boot, which is the only other option.
- Then use the ‘Swipe to Confirm Flash’ option at bottom to swipe and install TWRP recovery on your LG G4.
- You will get [IMAGE FLASH COMPLETE] in blue color on next screen. Tap on Back button.
- Tap on Home button at bottom left. Now tap on Reboot, and then on System, to restart the device normally. If you want root, you can use the ‘Swipe to Install’ option at bottom on next screen, otherwise simply tap on ‘Do Not Install’ option. We would prefer you to select ‘Do Not Install’, as it’s better to use latest SuperSU file to root device, for which, see below.
- Optional: Take a nandroid backup now. With TWRP installed, the first thing you should do is take backup. It’s really a must-have thing. Boot into recovery mode (in cmd window, type adb reboot recovery) and then tap on Backup. Select all or your choice of partitions you want to backup, and then swipe at bottom to begin creating a nandroid backup — a mirror copy of current status of your phone, that when restored, will bring the phone back to current status, no matter what changes you did, willingly or unwillingly.
- Root your G4. Well, while still in recovery, download the SuperSU file, transfer it to your G4, and then simply use the Install menu to flash the SuperSU zip to gain root access.
If you need any help with download and installing TWRP recovery for LG G4, let us know via comments section below and we will be sure to help you.