How to Install Deodexed Android 2.3 Gingerbread ROM XWJVH on Galaxy S i9000
For installing custom themes and other personalization stuff on your Galaxy S android phone, you need a deodexed ROM installed. For the Galaxy S, the latest Samsung ROM is XWJVH, which is based on Android 2.3.3. It’s fast and stable, so if you’ve a Galaxy S and don’t wanna wait for Samsung to send the Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) update via Kies in your zone, which often takes long time, then you can install the XWJVH ROM using this step-by-step guide — this will install stock XWJVH ROM as it comes from Samsung, meaning it’s not rooted nor deodexed.
[warning] The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. Do this only if you’re capable of getting your phone back right on your own. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable. You only will be responsible — you’ve been warned. Okay![/warning]
Back to deodexed ROM, here’s how you can get one:
- You need to have Samsung’s Android 2.3 ROM with gingerbread bootloaders. Existing Android 2.3 ROMs are XXJV1, XWJVK, XWHVB and XWJVH. Also, you need to have clockwork recovery which you get if you’ve applied the CF-Root. If you have a with_bootloaders Android 2.3 Samsung ROM with ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery, jump to step 5 below. Otherwise, Install the latest Android 2.3 ROM, JVH, with bootloaders and then root it using CF-Root as given in steps 2, 3 and 4.
- Install Samsung’s stock XWJVH ROM, if aren’t running one. Again, use this step-by-step guide to install it.
- Next thing you need to do is Root your Galaxy S which is now running XWJVH. Use the instructions posted here to root XWJVH.
- You need to have ClockworkMod recovery too. If you root using the guide in step 2 above, you’ve already gotten that. So, just skip this step — this was just for Info.
- Now, you need to install deodexed JVH. Here’s how to install it:
- Download the file from here: XWJVH_NEE_Deodexed_Zipaligned.exe. Download Link. (Register and Sign In then at multiupload.com to get the direct resumable link.)
- Run the file by double clicking and then extract its contents. You’ll get this file: XWJVH_NEE_Deodexed_Zipaligned_signed.zip.
- Now, transfer this .zip file to your phone’s sd card on the very root of it.
- Flash this file using ClockworkMod recovery. If you need help, check out the full “How To Flash .zip files using ClockworkMod recovery”.
- So, now you’ve the deodexed ROM but you’ve lost ClockworkMod recovery. Root is still there, by the way.
- To get ClockworkMod recovery (CWM) back, apply the CF-Root given here (it’s the same link as in step 2 above). After this, you’ll have CWM back.
- That’s it, you can now install your favorite themes and hacks as you wish. You can keep an eye on this page for all new stuff — themes and other tips/tricks — we keep posting.
Thanks to Ramad at XDA for getting us deodexed version of Samsung stock ROMs.