Cyanogenmod 9 (CM9), based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0, is the custom ROM that everyone wishes they had on their phone. With the customization possibilities and performance enhancements Cyanogenmod ROMs are known for, it’s always good news when a device gets a CM ROM. The lucky fella this time around is the HTC Amaze 4G. XDA Recognized Developer sportsstar89 has released a development/work in progress version of CM9 for the Amaze 4G, something a lot of Amaze owners have been waiting for.
There are some major issues in the ROM though, like GSM calls and Wi-Fi not working (full list under the ROM Info section), which is to be expected as the ROM is a work in progress and in its early stages. Call it a preview version if you will. But it’s a start, as CM9 for the Amaze 4G has been a long time coming, and now users have a chance to try it out.
Let’s take at a look at how you can install CM9 on your HTC Amaze 4G.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the HTC Amaze 4G. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
Developer → sportsstar89
- Very quick
- GSM broken (will be fixed soon)
- WiFi (Fixed Soon)
- Important! An S-off/rooted HTC Amaze 4G with ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
How to Install Cyanogenmod 9 on Amaze 4G
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Link | Filename: gapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip
- Transfer the downloaded zip files from step 1 and step 2 to the internal SD card on the phone.
- Turn off the phone, then boot into Clockworkmod recovery. In recovery, use Volume buttons to navigate and Power/home button to select options.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Perform a wipe:
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select wipe cache then select Yes on next screen to confirm.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select go back to go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now repeat step 8, but this time select the Google apps package file gapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone.
Cyanogenmod 9 (CM9) based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 is now installed on your HTC Amaze 4G. Do try to report any bugs and issues you find in the official development page so they can be ironed out faster, and also check there regularly for ROM updates. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.