It seems as if not a day goes by when we see some device get a port of AOKP (Android Open Kang Project), an AOSP based custom ROM that brings Ice Cream Sandwich to Android devices, along with improved performance and a plethora of customization options (with the inbuilt ROM Control mod). The HTC Sensation is the latest to join the party, thanks to XDA developer febycv who has begun porting AOKP ROM to the Sensation.
The ROM is in the development stage, so expect a lot of bugs in the ROM as long as it stays under development. The full list of known issues and bugs can be found below in the ROM Info section. Take a look at them before you decide to try the ROM.
Read on to find out how you can install AOKP ROM on your HTC Sensation.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the HTC Sensation. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable.
Developer → febycv
- Wi-Fi tether
- Call Drops
- Minor Flickering
- Camcorder Issues
- Few other Bugs
- Rooted HTC Sensation with Clockworkmod Recovery installed.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install AOKP ROM on HTC Sensation
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the latest version of the Google Apps package (this is required since the ROM itself doesn’t contain Google apps like Market, Talk, etc).
Download Link | Download the CyanogenMod 9.0.x version from the download link.
- Transfer the two files downloaded in step 1 and 2 to the root of your sdcard on the phone (i.e, don’t put in any folder).
- Turn off the phone, then boot into Clockworkmod recovery by simultaneously pressing and holding the Volume down button and the Power button. From the resulting HBOOT menu, press Volume down to select the Recovery option and press the Power button to activate it. In recovery, use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, Select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on the next screen to confirm data wipe (will not erase SD card contents).
- Now select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it.
- Now confirm installation by selecting “Yes – Install ______.zip” on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select “go back” to go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now repeat step 8, but this time select the Google apps package file you downloaded in step 2 to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the phone.
AOKP ROM based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 is now up and running on your HTC Sensation. Visit the original development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.