The Samsung i897 Captivate has been graced with a port of an Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 ROM, named AOKP ROM. Based on the Android Open Kang Project for the Nexus S, the ROM brings a high level of customization usually only found in Cyanogenmod ROMs. It’s an unofficial port and not yet complete as the ROM it has been ported from is itself under development, so bugs are to be expected, but shouldn’t take much time before everything is sorted out.
Read on to find out how to flash the AOKP ROM on your Samsung Captivate i897.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!!!
This Rom and the guide below is compatible only and only with the Samsung Captivate, model number I897. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
- Developer → vibranturk
- Pressing reboot option in power menu reboots into recovery
- Wifi tethering (You can use a third-party tethering app from the Market for wifi tethering. Or try this app → here)
- Rooted Samsung Captivate I897 with Clockworkmod Recovery installed.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you
How To Install AOKP ICS Port on your Samsung Captivate I897
- Download the AOKP ICS ROM Port from the original development page to your desktop.
- Transfer the downloaded zip file to the root of SD card on your phone.
- Turn off your phone and wait for complete shutdown (wait for capacitive button lights to go off).
- Then, press and hold these 3 buttons together: Volume Up, Volume Down, & the Power button till the screen turns on, then let go of the buttons. You’ll boot into CWM recovery soon enough. In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- Perform a full Wipe (this will not wipe your SD cards)
- Wipe data / factory reset –> then Select Yes – Wipe data/Factory reset on the next screen
- From the main menu, select “mounts and storage“, then select “format system” -> select “Yes” on next screen to confirm. Then, select “go back” go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now scroll to “Install zip from sdcard” and select it.
- Select “Choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the file you transferred in Step 2 and select it.
- Now confirm installation by selecting “Yes — Install **your_rom_file_name**.zip – The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” and then select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
Important Note: If you are coming from a Stock ROM, or a Samsung based ROM, the phone might get caught in a bootloop during flashing. In case that happens, just pull the battery, reboot into recovery and reflash the ROM, and then reboot again, and you should be fine.
- That’s it!! Enjoy AOKP ICS rom on your Captivate.
You can visit the original development thread to check for updates and more details. Let us know about your AOSP Ice Cream Sandwich experience in comments below.