How to Install AOKP Android 4.0 ROM on Motorola Droid RAZR (CDMA)
The Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) is sure picking up pace as more and more devices get added to the list of custom ROMs based on it. And rightly so, as the AOKP ROMs bring a lot of customization and high performance to the table, besides being fully open source so that everyone can reap the advantages.
The AOKP AXI0M ROM is a new AOKP based Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 ROM for the CDMA version of the Motorola Droid RAZR. The ROM aims at being ‘fast, smooth and sexy’ as the developer puts it, though we’ll leave it up to you to decide whether that’s true. It brings Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 to your Droid RAZR (CDMA version) which is as good a reason as any to try it out.
However, the ROM is currently in the Alpha stage, so bugs and issues still exist in the ROM even though almost everything is working at this point. Read on to find out how to flash the ROM on your Motorola Droid RAZR.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!
This firmware and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Motorola Droid RAZR CDMA version, model number XT912. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
Developer → Brynn217
- AOKP 4.0.3 Source
- Choice of 3 different launchers
- Integrated Google Apps 4.0.4
- GAMMA Color Tweaks
- FULL DSP Manager
- VZW Support for APPS
- Th3ory Go Faster Script (Speed, Fluidity, Battery Life, RAM Management)
- Max FPS (240)
- Cron Script
- Force Home Launcher in GPU (Software)
- Disable Kernel logging (Speed)
- Max JPEG resolution to 100%
- ZRAM Compatible (Settings/Performance)
- SD Read Speed
- Zipalign At Boot
- Shorter Ring Delay (Connect Call Faster)
- Proximity Sensor Hack (Light Up Faster)
- UI Enhancements
- Front facing camera (rear Camera works, if you try to use the front cam, it will crash. Clear Data to start camera app again)
- Important! A rooted Motorola Droid RAZR CDMA version, with Bootstrap Recovery OR Safestrap Recovery installed.
You can get Bootstrap Recovery from → here. Safestrap Recovery can be obtained from → here.
- Important! Your phone must be running the 6.12.17x firmware update, or you’ll brick your device.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). So if needed, backup your apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install AOKP ROM on Motorola Droid RAZR (CDMA)
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the original development page.
- Transfer the ROM’s zip file to your internal SD card.
- Boot into recovery, according to your version of recovery as given below:
Bootstrap Recovery: Open the ‘System Recovery’ app on the phone. Connect the phone to PC. Then press the ‘Recovery Mode’ button to boot into recovery.
Safestrap Recovery: Turn off the phone. Turn it on, then press the Menu button (the first button at the bottom) to enter recovery.
- Once in recovery, perform a wipe:
- Select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select “wipe cache“ then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- Select “mounts and storage”, then select “format system”. Select “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- Go back to the main menu, select Advanced, and then Wipe Dalvik Cache » Yes – Wipe Dalvik .
- Now select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the ROM file you transferred in step 2 and select it. The ROM will now start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” and then select “reboot system now” to reboot into the ROM.
How to Enable Data Connection on AOKP AXI0M ROM
Go to Settings/Wireless & Networks/More/Mobile Networks/Network Mode/. Select GSM only wait till the screen flashes twice (or it says 4G SIM detected would you like to switch to LTE/CDMA) then switch to LTE/CDMA. Data will come up.
That’s it. The AOKP AXI0M ROM is installed and ready to be used on your Motorola Droid RAZR. Visit the official development page to check for updates, bug-fixes and other detailed information. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.