Samsung’s still has a love for the silly RFS system that the company has put in the Droid Charge. Even though EXT4 produces better performance than the RFS file system. But those of you ant to install the EXT4 file system to have faster speeds and other benefits on Droid Charge, now you can get it manually. Thanks to jt1134, an XDA member, just flashing a kernel via ODIN will get you the root access, superuser, even install the ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) and the best thing in Voodoo Lagfix, which in fact is, conversion of file system from RFS to EXT4.
Here’s how you can do all the stuff together: Root, install Superuser, install CWM (ClockworkMod Recovery) and covert the file system from RFS to EXT4.
Step-By-Step Guide [Applies only to Windows PC]:
- Download these files:
- Install the proper drivers for Droid Charge if you haven’t done that already.
- Disconnect phone from PC, if it’s connected. Then, Switch Off Phone. now, Go to Download Mode.
- Open Odin3 v1.3.exe
- Connect your Droid Charge to PC now. Odin should show the “Added! !” message in the box.
- Flash the Kernel using Odin:
- Hit the PDA tab and select the .tar file you downloaded in Step 1.2 (VoodooChargeCWM-2.tar)
- Keep re-Partition unchecked while keep both Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time buttons checked.
- Double check above two steps and make sure you haven’t selected any other file for any other tab.
- Hit the start button.
- The Kernel will be applied and shortly after that phone will reboot automatically. Reboot may take 8-10 minutes but while doing that you may hear a voice narrating something which you may not understand — and that’s okay. You file system is changing that time only during reboot. Upon reboot, your Droid Charge would be running on much better file system, EXT4.
- That’s it. The Droid Charge is now rooted with superuser app installed along with the ClockworkMod recovery.
Hope your phone likes — and does — it well.
For latest update about this kernel and the latest download (if it gets!), you can keep an eye on this thread here (check out the attached files and change log for more info about whether this kernel has been updated).