How to Install MIUI ROM on Samsung Galaxy S3 [Guide]
MIUI ROM – one of the most well-known custom ROMs for Android – has made its way to the Samsung Galaxy S3, as promised by the MIUI team who said that we would see the first version get released as a beta on July 6th (today that is). MIUI brings a unique interface with features such as extensive themes support, inbuilt backup and restore, useful functions such as guard mode, and more, and Galaxy S3 can finally try it out on their device.
Important! This is the first release of the ROM, so it will possibly have a few bugs and issues, and some things may not work correctly. So keep that in mind before going ahead and trying it out. It won’t cause any major problems, but it is still an early beta ROM.
Read on to find out how you can flash MIUI ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S3.
This hack and the guide below are compatible only and only with Galaxy S3, model number i9300. It’s not compatible with the US variants or other devices. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install MIUI ROM on Galaxy S3 i9300
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Install ClockworkMod recovery on your phone by following the guide → here.
- Download the latest version of MIUI ROM from the official development page.
- Copy the downloaded zip file from step 3 to the internal SD card on the phone.
- Now, boot into ClockworkMod recovery. To do that, turn off your phone. Then, hold down Volume Up, Home and then the Power buttons together until the screen turns on, then let them go. The phone will boot into ClockworkMod recovery in a few seconds.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to scroll up/down and the home button to select an option.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into MIUI ROM.
- Important! NOTE: In case you do not like MIUI, you can flash the stock XXBLFB firmware → here to go back to stock Android 4.0.4 firmware.
MIUI ROM is now installed and running on your Galaxy S3. Try it out, then let us know how it works for you, in the comments below.