A day after Google unveiled Android 4.1 aka Jelly Bean running on the Galaxy Nexus at Google I/O, the Jelly Bean ROM was leaked online so that every Galaxy Nexus owner could update to the latest, and perhaps the greatest Android version. Those looking to update to a completely stock Jelly Bean ROM on their Galaxy Nexus can do so by following this guide. Completely stock means that the ROM will not be rooted and is not modified in any way – it’s the ROM that Google demonstrated at Google I/O.
Keep in mind that this ROM is only for the international GSM Galaxy Nexus and not for the Verizon, Sprint or CDMA variants. Do not try it out on any other device or Galaxy Nexus variant other than the GSM variant.
Read on to find out how you can update your Galaxy Nexus to stock Jelly Bean Android 4.1.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the international GSM Galaxy Nexus, model number i9250. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Update Galaxy Nexus to Stock Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings. Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Unlock the bootloader on your Galaxy Nexus by following the guide → here. This will erase all your data, including the data on the SD card, so back everything up first.
- [Important!] Install TWRP recovery on your Nexus by following the guide → here. Make sure to flash the GSM version of recovery. You need recovery to be able to install the ROM.
- Download the ROM.
Download Link | Filename: jb-takju.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip file to the SD card on the phone (do not extract it).
- Turn off the phone and boot into CWM recovery. To do this, press and hold the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power buttons together till the screen turns on. Then, scroll to the Restart Recovery option using the volume buttons, then select it using the Power button to restart in recovery.
- Now, tap on Backup, then slide the blue circle button at the bottom to the right to start backing up your current ROM, so that you can restore it later if something does not work out with the new ROM. After backup is complete, go back to the main menu by clicking the home button at the bottom left of the screen.
- Select Wipe, then select Factory Reset and then confirm the data wipe. This will not wipe your internal SD card’s contents, so do not worry. Then, go back to the main menu by clicking the home button after wipe is complete.
- Select Install, then scroll to the ROM’s file on the SD card (which you transferred in step 5) and select it. Confirm installation by sliding the blue button.
- After installation is complete, select the Reboot system button to reboot the phone and boot up into stock Jelly Bean.
Jelly Bean Android 4.1 is now running on your Galaxy Nexus, completely stock and unrooted. Do let us know how it works for you, in the comments below.