Get Tablet UI on Atrix 4G Running CM9
Owners of the Atrix 4G have a cool, brand new mod that you can play with, which will transform the UI on the Atrix 4G to match that of a tablet!! While the tablet UI may not be as useful in it’s own, it is definitely a big benefit, if you are mirroring your phone to a PC, or using the WebDock application. This mod comes to us, thanks to XDA Senior Member AndroidON, and is up for download in his thread over at XDA.
Applying the mod is pretty simple, though you do have to tweak a couple of system files. Needless to say, you do need to have CM9 or Cyanogenmod 9 ROM running on your Atrix 4G, if you need to be able to use this mod. You can use this guide to get CM9 on your Atrix 4G. Read on to learn how you can get the Tablet UI working on your Atrix 4G.
The steps and methods included in this guide are considered risky. Please do not attempt to try this unless you know exactly what you are doing, as it may render your device unusable, and your pocket lighter by the amount it takes to replace it. You have been forewarned!!!
This mod is compatible only and only with the Motorola Atrix 4G. Please do not attempt to use it on any other device. We are not responsible for any damage that may be caused to your device. Check your device model under Settings » About Phone
How to Apply Tablet UI mod on the Atrix 4G
- Download the services.jar file from the official development page and save it to your desktop
- Transfer the downloaded file to your phone via USB cable
- On your phone, launch Root Explorer or ES File Explorer and move the services.jar file you downloaded to /system/framework. This will overwrite the services.jar file on your phone. Make sure that you are changing the permissions of the new services.jar file to the same as the original one
- Now navigate to /system on your phone, and locate the build.prop file using ES File Explorer
- Open /system/build.prop
- Find the line ‘ro.build.characteristics=default‘ and replace the text ‘default‘ with ‘tablet‘
- Set the screen density to 120 by changing ‘ro.sf.lcd_density=240‘ to ‘ro.sf.lcd_density=120‘
- Save the build.prop file, exit ES File Explorer and reboot the phone
- That’s it. When your phone reboots you would be looking at the Tablet UI on your Atrix 4G. If you want to revert to the regular phone UI, all you need to do is change the density back to ‘240‘ ( like in Step 7 and you will get the phone UI back)
So go ahead and try out this cool mod, show off your new Tablet UI to your friends, and let us know what you think in comments below.